Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tb Coolant Bypass Mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 09:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Tb Coolant Bypass Mod

Saw This Mod On Install University Any Thoughts Because I Just Got My Tb Back From New Era Performance They Did A Great Job On The Port & Polish And Im Going To Put It On In The Morning.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you get the right parts or the tbbypass kits that are sold you should have no problem your tb will run cooler and give you just a few ponies like around 5ish when the car is warm might as well do it... cooler intake charge=more hp. (gm did this for emissions and to warm the tb in the winter to prevent freezing) for the ls1 youll need either a small piece of 5/16 fuel line or since it was late and i didnt have the option since it was late when i did this i used a 4 inch length of 5/8 fuel hose off my motorcycle and 2 3/8" couplers. if you do not have an aftermarket smooth bellow you can get away with just a 3/8 coupler and a zip tie. but it doesnt look as clean as if you get a line or piece of hose to route it around the pulley right under the tb. hope this helps, theres many threads on this if you do a search.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:05 AM
TECH Regular

Do it! Unless you drive the car in the winter, then the blade may freeze open, but its never happen to me.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:29 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can just run 1 long piece of 5/16th fuel line from the vent tube to the radiator. You may have to ream out the inside of the hose to get it to slip over the radiator side, but if you get bigger than that, it won't attach to the coolant tube.

You can also twist/pull the old coolant pipes out of the throttle body. They are pressed in MEGA hard, but they will come out once you get them on the run.
Old 03-10-2007, 01:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

curious hows the blade going to freeze up isnt ther motor oil on it from the pcv???
Old 03-10-2007, 01:41 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by SLP4CamaroSS
curious hows the blade going to freeze up isnt ther motor oil on it from the pcv???
He means freeze as in really cold, but the TB coolant flow isn't to prevent this. Not sure what the hell it's for, but it's been debated for years.
Old 03-10-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Resident

I want to do this aswell, so a long 5/16 hose, but what about the caps you have to put on the throttle body? Where can I get those?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You don't have to put caps on the TB. As for driveability I've done this on both LS1's I've owned and even when I lived in KS I had no issues down to sub-zero temperatures at times in the winter.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Red99TA
You don't have to put caps on the TB. As for driveability I've done this on both LS1's I've owned and even when I lived in KS I had no issues down to sub-zero temperatures at times in the winter.
It wont cause some kind of vacuum leak?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
No, once you bypass the TB then you're just leaving the coolant tube going into the TB open as well as the one leaving the TB. There is no path for coolant to flow from the TB to the intake manifold (if there was you'd be burning coolant) therefore leaving it open there is no path for air to flow into the intake either.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fortmyerspolice
Leak? I thought it was through the left and straight out the right and it's totally isolated from the rest of the TB. I could be wrong tho, I sealed mine just to prevent any excess fluid from leaking out of the TB while I was driving around after the install. This is a cheap, easy MOD if you got some time you wanna kill and ran outta other MODs to do for the day. Def didn't hurt.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:17 AM
TECH Resident

Where can I get some 5/16 rubber hose locally?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:23 AM
Teching In

autozone has rolls of hose in the back of their stores. just tell them what you need and how much
Old 03-10-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

I just got done with it. Trying to fit a 5/16 hose over the radiator side is a bitch. I left the throttle body ports open for now till i find some caps. Thats fine right. It also seems theres not alot of pressure going through the hose.
Old 03-10-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just dremeled them off...only reason i did the mod im pretty sure was to clean up the TB
Old 03-10-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a Bauer ported/polished TB yesterday and decided to do the TB by-pass too. I used a solid length of 5/16" hose and a couple band clamps. The hose routed very nicely along the top of the radiator and I zip tied it to the AC line about 5" from where the hose attaches to the radiator fitting. You need to really tighten down the end that attaches to that little metal tube leading to the block. The 5/16" hose is just a little too big for that fitting. When I started my car up, I had a small leak (and I thought it was tightened down enough). I pulled out my screwdriver and tightened that clamp down till it screamed! I drove the car around a little bit yesterday and today. No leaks anymore.

If I were to do this again, I'd definitely go with the solid length of hose vice using a coupler. Why? Because a coupler is going to introduce 2 more spots where leaks could occur and it's going to ride very, very close to a pulley. A solid hose will still only have two connecting points and can be routed easily so it's no where near the pulley.

BTW, the Bauer TB is awesome! Throttle response is much more sensitive and the power comes in much more smoothly. It also whistles, which gives it kind of an unusual, if not mean sound. I like it.

Marc

Last edited by nytmare1; 03-10-2007 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by nytmare1
If I were to do this again, I'd definitely go with the solid length of hose vice using a coupler. Why? Because a coupler is going to introduce 2 more spots where leaks could occur and it's going to ride very, very close to a pulley. A solid hose will still only have two connecting points and can be routed easily so it's no where near the pulley.
Agreed. When I had a coupler in there, it ended up leaking (I could tell by looking at the splatter line it created on the underside of my hood as it got flung off of the belt). I have a piece of 5/16" line on there now, but it is definitely too big to go on the hard line (it works if you clamp it down enough though). I'll be trying to convert that line to stainless braided with AN fittings when I install my electric water pump in about a week. Might even post up pics if it actually works...
Old 03-10-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Red99TA
really? hmm the only thing that kept me from doing this was because almost everyone i talked to said if it gets below freezing where you live it can damage the car. but if you've had no probs with below 0 temps than maybe i'll give it a shot. i guess i could always just take 5 mins and put it back to stock for the winters too.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is just a myth. Think about it this way: What temp is the tb when you go out in the morning to start your car? Is the coolant warming it? Nope.
This debate reminds me of my 73 Datsun 240. It had coolant running through the carbs. I took it to a mechanic who used to work on a racing team. It was the first mod he did; remove the coolant lines. Did not affect cold weather running, and improved performance because the carbs did not get as hot. Duh.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

The TB coolant on the LS1 has minimal effect compared to the LT1 TB. It barely even contacts the actual TB itself. I doubt it's worth doing for any power increase but it can help clean up the engine. I haven't had any problems in the last 6 weeks with the temps going down into the single digits and barely the 20's during the day. LT1 TB bypass might get you 5-6 hp but the LS1 would be lucky to see 1 hp.

Quick Reply: Tb Coolant Bypass Mod