Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

won't start with battery moved

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default won't start with battery moved

installed an optima in the rear. I have a master kill switch and a fused distribution block up front near where the batterry used to be. The kill switch works, all my grounds check out, I have 12.59 volts at the distribution block but when I put in the fuse for the wire that runs over to the driver side post( at the fuse panels) my voltage drops to about 5 volts. My fuses are good the wire shows continuity but as soon as I give it power it drops voltage to the entire system. When I pulled the battery there where 3 wires on the positive post. 1 goes to the starter, 1 goes to the alternator and 1 goes to that post. The ground wire I cut and grounded it to the chassis. Any ideas?
Old 03-10-2007, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pirate3
installed an optima in the rear. I have a master kill switch and a fused distribution block up front near where the batterry used to be. The kill switch works, all my grounds check out, I have 12.59 volts at the distribution block but when I put in the fuse for the wire that runs over to the driver side post( at the fuse panels) my voltage drops to about 5 volts. My fuses are good the wire shows continuity but as soon as I give it power it drops voltage to the entire system. When I pulled the battery there where 3 wires on the positive post. 1 goes to the starter, 1 goes to the alternator and 1 goes to that post. The ground wire I cut and grounded it to the chassis. Any ideas?
Jeez I don't know. Maybe try grounding it to the engine?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ended up measuring resistance to ground at the back where I had the rear battery grounded and where the original battery cable was grounded and it was a huge dif. Tied a seperate ground between those two points and voila! You would think with welded sub-frames it wouldn't be that much of a difference. Lesson learned.