Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed SSRA a few days ago...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Installed SSRA a few days ago...

I had been waiting for my SSRA to arrive and it came earlier this week. I finally got around to installing it a few days ago and I've been driving my car since the install. First off, I have to say it was one of the easiest mods I've done to my car. It took me a little over an hour to get the job done with me being really careful when drilling the holes in the front facia for the lower part. There doesn't seem to be anyway around drilling holes, but oh well...

The material it's made out of does seem pretty durable and it's also very pliable. I'm glad they decided to manufacture it out of polypropelyne.

I'm not sure if I feel any difference, since my butt meter isn't all that refined. I'm headed to the local 1320 next week and will report with results then. For now, I'm pretty satisifed with the SSRA. I also sealed off the front of the lower airbox with the supplied weather stripping. Now, I can just hear my engine sucking air through the bottom of my car. No worries about me hydrolocking though since she doesn't see rain.
Old 03-10-2007, 04:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

post up some results!!
Old 03-10-2007, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to see something concrete on these. I'm waivering on getting one right now.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:09 PM
TECH Regular

did you get it through lmperformance's gp?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/668595-ssra-gp-go.html
glad to hear the install was easy. mine should be arriving sometime this coming week and i'll install it over the weekend. enjoy the performance gain, you should be getting anywhere from 10-15 rwhp from it.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:18 PM
10 Second Club

I got mine installed a while back and thought I could actually feel a difference, although not night and day. The car does seem to feel like it runs better without the weatherstrip in place. I wasn't sure if it was in my head, but my buddy said the same thing. Try it without the rubber strip and let me know if you feel a difference.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Regular

plus it should give ya a few extra mpg. so EVENTUALLY (after like 50k miles) it will pay for itself lol. i used this rationale when trying justify the purchase to my conscience that told me to save my bank account.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Ripper415
did you get it through lmperformance's gp?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=668595
glad to hear the install was easy. mine should be arriving sometime this coming week and i'll install it over the weekend. enjoy the performance gain, you should be getting anywhere from 10-15 rwhp from it.
I didn't get it through the GP, I was a little hasty and ordered it a few weeks back. I should have waited though, because it did take like 2 weeks for it to be shipped out, but what's done is done.

myfast70: If I didn't feel a difference with the installation of the SSRA, something tells me I'm not going to feel the difference with the removal of the weather stripping.

I will be posting results after I hit the local track though. Any ideas on what I can use to block off the SSRA for testing purposes?
Old 03-10-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

duc tape
Old 03-11-2007, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i thought it was allready agreed upon that this was a worthy modification. anyway i was very pleased with mine.

before ssra-12.5@108.5 1.8 60ft
after ssra-12.2@110 1.7 60ft

the addition of the ssra was worth at least .1mph and .1tenth, maybe more.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

i dont know what to think about theese things, i drive fast alot and that shoud put some air in there at high way speeds. anyone remove their filter at the track?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Krab
myfast70: If I didn't feel a difference with the installation of the SSRA, something tells me I'm not going to feel the difference with the removal of the weather stripping.

I will be posting results after I hit the local track though. Any ideas on what I can use to block off the SSRA for testing purposes?
That's why I said try removing the strip! With it installed, the car didn't feel any different, but with it out is when I thought you could feel a difference. Try cutting a piece of styrofoam to put in the opening to block it off.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 AM
TECH Regular

most of what i've heard is that with the ss/ws6 hoods youre supposed to put the strip in because having air coming in from on top AND underneath has some kinda weird turbulance effect and actually flows worse than if it was just coming from the bottom. wow that was the run-on sentence from hell, but you get the idea lol.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

seal it up and let it do its job.

DPW41285: I know some who remove it and others that use pantyhose to block anything big. While the risk is small of sucking crap into the motor, the gain is tiny (.01 or .02) so I leave mine in. A clean filter is the way to go, IMO.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dpw41285
i dont know what to think about theese things, i drive fast alot and that shoud put some air in there at high way speeds. anyone remove their filter at the track?
Removing the filter is only worth while if it's clogged. What I've noticed is, removing the filter makes the car run a tad leaner. I've seen it on the dyno with numerous cars. If you feel gains from pulling the filter, it's most likely because you managed to lean the AFR out some.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:33 AM
11 Second Club

? hahaha
Old 03-13-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ripper415
most of what i've heard is that with the ss/ws6 hoods youre supposed to put the strip in because having air coming in from on top AND underneath has some kinda weird turbulance effect and actually flows worse than if it was just coming from the bottom. wow that was the run-on sentence from hell, but you get the idea lol.
From what I know SS hoods dont even put air to the air box. A WS6 hood will though. I purchased my SSRA from LM last week and waiting for it to come. I do have the SLP one though and I did not put the rubber strip in front of the air box. My car seems to run fine and pull through the RPM range fine. Im probably gona still leave it off after I put on the SSRA unless someone can prove the rubber will make a difference in turbulance.