Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header tube rubbing steering column??? Need help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Header tube rubbing steering column??? Need help ASAP

I just installed Mac headers on my ride last night with my Dad's help & had a real hard time getting them to fit right......after about 10 hrs of torture we finally got em in & completed the job however we are having problems with the steering column hitting the 1st tube in front on drivers side....what should we do??? We were thinking about bending the tube but not sure how we are gonna do it without taking the header out again or, grind down alil bit of the steering column to get more clearance....If any1 has had this problem please post so we can get this fixed....I'm really starting to get pissed & frustrated thanx

Last edited by miamifan3413; 03-20-2007 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Launching!

mine did the same thing when i had the i just grinded off what i needed to make them quit rubbing
Old 03-11-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slammedchevy
mine did the same thing when i had the i just grinded off what i needed to make them quit rubbing
You didn't run into any issues by do'n that.

lol,....friend just called me this morning and said he was having the same exact problem MACs also.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Resident

What did u grind? All I need is about 1/2" more clearence.....Im really thinking about heating up the tube with a torch and bending it a lil, I just don't know if I should attack it that way....Please if you don't have any solutions, don't waste your & my time posting.....BTW, I think I bought these headers from you on Ebay, I'm I correct? the seller told me they posted here by the name "slammed chevy"
Old 03-11-2007, 07:03 PM
Teching In

If you are talking about the "ears" on your steering shaft hitting the primary, take the shaft out and bend them inwards on the shaft. Thats what I had to do. I wasn't comfortable with removing them because they are probably there for a reason, and I don't want my steering coming apart sometime.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:11 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would bend the tube before I did ANY grinding on the steering shaft.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I think grinding is outta the list of options....I don't feel comfortable about it either. I will try both those ideas & get back to you.....*fingers crossed* BTW Thanx
If any1 else has any experience with this & has a suggestion please keep em comin
Old 03-11-2007, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read that you can slide the steering shaft over a little. Inside the interior their are 3 bolts at the base of the steering column. Loosen them and it can slide over a tad. Just what I've read over the years. My Mac headers were damn close, but never rubbed.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by WS6 Rampage
You didn't run into any issues by do'n that.

lol,....friend just called me this morning and said he was having the same exact problem MACs also.
not a problem at all
Old 03-12-2007, 06:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by miamifan3413
What did u grind? All I need is about 1/2" more clearence.....Im really thinking about heating up the tube with a torch and bending it a lil, I just don't know if I should attack it that way....Please if you don't have any solutions, don't waste your & my time posting.....BTW, I think I bought these headers from you on Ebay, I'm I correct? the seller told me they posted here by the name "slammed chevy"
yes that would be me. there is a fat round section on your stearing shaft thats what was rubbing on mine i took a dremel and ground off what i need.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

yes that would be me. there is a fat round section on your stearing shaft thats what was rubbing on mine i took a dremel and ground off what i need.
I will use that as last resort.....thx for all the responses people, you guys rock!! Going to go to my Dads shop & get this resolved.....man these headers were a BITCH to get installed!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by miamifan3413
I will use that as last resort.....thx for all the responses people, you guys rock!! Going to go to my Dads shop & get this resolved.....man these headers were a BITCH to get installed!
took me two hours on a lift **** was cake
Old 03-12-2007, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

took me two hours on a lift **** was cake
Man, if it took u 2 hrs, how the phuq did that happen?? I tried bending the tube but can't get in there enough to get to the right spot to bend it....then i tried the interior steering column bolts like mentioned earlier & the damn thing won't budge because there is like a grommet looking thing on the firewall that isn't gonna let it move to the angle I need it to.....looks like i'm gonna have to grind the MF'er..... I'm spent & about ready to go CRAZY, this **** has pushed my patience to the limit....I have never had soooo many issues with installing headers on any car beside this 1 I'm tired of messin with this BS, is there anything else that can be done??? I don't wanna grin d the steering shaft unless it is the very last thing to do...please help
Old 03-13-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Resident

Well, for me to get the driver's side header to fit right is grinding the thick part of the steering linkage down a lil bit all the way around. Also, you need to bend the "ears" in also......this is what I had to do. Everything is clearing now & no issues....THANK YOU JESUS!!! Thanx for all the advise fellas....couldn't have done it without it
Oh, BTW my ride pulls HARD through mid range & up top....I was breaking tires loose in 2nd to 3rd shift
Old 03-13-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

did you try shimming one side of the motor mount, loosening both mounts and shifting the motor over a tad?
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ping King
did you try shimming one side of the motor mount, loosening both mounts and shifting the motor over a tad?
Didn't think of that, but that is a good idea.....where were you at 2 days ago???
Old 03-14-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ain't that a bitch!A perfectly clear solution shows way too lateLOL.Glad you got them in.I thought Mac Mids were supposed to drop in?
Old 03-14-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lovin myls1
Ain't that a bitch!A perfectly clear solution shows way too lateLOL.Glad you got them in.I thought Mac Mids were supposed to drop in?
Well for me they didn't, I guess it's hit or miss.....I also noticed by looking at some pictures that not all f body have the same steering linkage....some are thicker in the middle (mine was) & some aren't.....well anyways, the ones that have a thicker steering shaft WILL have problems with the steering linkage hitting 1 of the tubes..... the thinner one's i noticed will clear just enough not to have any issues....wonder why some are different than others???

Quick Reply: Header tube rubbing steering column??? Need help ASAP