Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't make up my mind on which exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Can't make up my mind on which exhaust

OK I been searching and researching for several weeks now on what exhaust setup I want and have made up my mind probably 10x over.

I'm crossed between two set-ups and if you guys could just put in your two cents I'd be very greatful.

1st Set-up:
Kooks 1 3/4 Headers - TSP ORX-pipe - Dynomax Bullet's, Sweet Thunder or something along those lines.
Pro's
-Sounds Great
-Best Performance
Con's
- Ground Clearence
- Cops (noise)

2nd Set-up:
Kooks 1 3/4 Headers - Kooks ORY-pipe - Keep Flowmasters till I can afford Corsa
Pro's
- Sounds alright
- Good performance
- Better ground clearence?
Con's
- Not the best Performance
- More Costs involved
- Doesn't sound as good as the x-pipe

These are my veiws. If you guys can talk me into one of the set-ups that'd be a great help! Thanks!

NOTE: I would also like to add that I would like to lower the car with Eibach and revalved Bilsteins or possably some coilovers. I haven't made up my mind on that one either. This car will be a Street/Strip as well.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

To me, it sounds like you want an all around performance car. When you're talking "lowered" and "strip" about the same car, it's a bit of a contradiction. As for the exhaust setup though, I'd go ORYP/catback if you really want to lower it. If you keep it off the ground, I'd say, "Consider true duals." But, I'd highly recommend riding in a car with true duals first if you can. There's a lot of interior noise with dumps at the axle and they can make for annoying situations (ie trying to have a conversation with someone, talking on the cell, etc.).

Personally, I'd go ORYP + Magnaflow. The Corsa's are known for having the internal baffle blow out causing them to sound rather $h!tty. Just my $0.02...
Old 03-13-2007, 02:29 PM
Teching In

get true duals but extend all the way back and get some good mufflers (that will get rid of some clearance problems plus the noise)
Old 03-13-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSpdDmon
To me, it sounds like you want an all around performance car. When you're talking "lowered" and "strip" about the same car, it's a bit of a contradiction. As for the exhaust setup though, I'd go ORYP/catback if you really want to lower it. If you keep it off the ground, I'd say, "Consider true duals." But, I'd highly recommend riding in a car with true duals first if you can. There's a lot of interior noise with dumps at the axle and they can make for annoying situations (ie trying to have a conversation with someone, talking on the cell, etc.).

Personally, I'd go ORYP + Magnaflow. The Corsa's are known for having the internal baffle blow out causing them to sound rather $h!tty. Just my $0.02...
My buddy Tom has headers an X pipe with bullets on his ride and I've rode/driven it many times and I dig it, especially on cold starts. My car only gets driven maybe 1 or 2 days/50 miles a week at best. After Tom hit a dead racoon in the road and took off one of his bullets is when I started thinking more about the clearance issue. Later on I would plan to run the duals all the way back...

Thanks for the info on the Corsa... I never heard of that. I was thinking of Borla as well... I just like the Corsa tips more.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Do you still have your OEM exhaust? KOOKS headers,No CATS, and your OEM aftercat system would be cool... TRUST ME!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blackmagic2
get true duals but extend all the way back and get some good mufflers (that will get rid of some clearance problems plus the noise)
I may have to get a price quote on that... Not sure If any hick around here will custom fab one up for me. I may take a trip to Vengeance or something.
Old 03-13-2007, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gollum
Do you still have your OEM exhaust? KOOKS headers,No CATS, and your OEM aftercat system would be cool... TRUST ME!
Flowmaster cat-back that is all....
Old 03-13-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Stick with your Flowmaster until you can find a good OEM. Heres my 1998 OEM WS6/SS exhaust
Attached Thumbnails Can't make up my mind on which exhaust-p1000243.jpg   Can't make up my mind on which exhaust-p1000266.jpg   Can't make up my mind on which exhaust-p1000259.jpg  
Old 03-13-2007, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the X-Pipe!!! In my opinion you cannot beat the sound, no Y-Pipe setup will sound as good as the TD, Remeber this is MY OPINION no haters please Like stated before get a good set of mufflers and it won't be that loud. I am lowered with a lanes TD setup and the only ground clearence I had is with big speed bumps and that was it, nothing came in contact when on reg roads.

Dan
Old 03-13-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

True duals all the way!

Like SLPSS99 said, no y-pipe setup will sound as good as the true duals.

Theres also a gain in the performance area with them also.

Just make sure the pipes get tucked up high enough so ground clearance isnt a big issue. Flip your fuel lines if you have to.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

duals FTW!

I've had my x-pipe dumped with dynomax bullets for a about 2 months and i drive my car everyday. It doesnt bother me at all and it sounds great.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the comments guys...I'm getten good feedback.

I was thinking also... Dynomax Bullets - Sweet Thunder or Moroso Spiral Flows? I've heard a lot of good thing about Dynomax and a few good things about Sweet Thunder but nothing on Moroso Sprial Flows. Any word you guys hear on them?
Old 03-13-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Thanks for the comments guys...I'm getten good feedback.

I was thinking also... Dynomax Bullets - Sweet Thunder or Moroso Spiral Flows? I've heard a lot of good thing about Dynomax and a few good things about Sweet Thunder but nothing on Moroso Sprial Flows. Any word you guys hear on them?
i will be getting rid of my dynomax bullets for some powersticks. I like sweet thunders a lot too!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

I found this quote from another tread
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by W8S SS
I just put my eibach pro kit on yesterday. I recommend anyone with TSP true duals to think hard about the pro kit though, I have scraped everything since yesterday. It's mostly my turn downs that hang an inch off the ground.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Maybe I should just keep stock ride hight until I mount the TD's to the rear.

Thanks for looking that up.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayAreaSS
i will be getting rid of my dynomax bullets for some powersticks. I like sweet thunders a lot too!
I been pushing for Sweet Thunder Lately.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

SLP springs will work perfectly with true duals, they will lower your car no more than 3/4".

Here's another good tread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspension-brakes/674797-lowering-car-tsp-true-duals.html