Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New goodies for next weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default New goodies for next weekend...

FedEx guy left a nice present on my front porch:

It's gloss black, with a small blemish on the back, but consider how far under the cowl it sits, I dont care and dont think I'll ever see it. Got a GREAT deal from LostCauseZ06... Smokin87TA P&P TB comes tomorrow, I think it should give the car a little more punch

Any advice for the intake swap? I am gonna get new gaskets just cause it's too easy to NOT do it, for 30 bucks why the hell not. Fuel line disconnect tool, and a for when my arms resemble a dead animal after ****** with the cowl.

-J
Old 03-16-2007, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it's an ls6 intake...don't you need the coolant pipes??
Old 03-16-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

I was gonna do the ground down the bottom method, but since we got a heavy snow today, I'm more focused on just having the car run, so I'm gonna wait till next weekend... I think I'll just end up snagging the coolant pipes in the meantime. Did you do the pipes or grinding?

-J
Old 03-16-2007, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I opted to simply cut the ends off the pipes and fill them with liquid steel - on the back that is. On the front, I simply cut the middle pipe off so that the front crossover would still function. Liquid steel set up fine and hasn't leaked in probably 10k miles.

Saved me some cash for sure. Plus it's quicker than waiting on the parts to arrive.

One tip I will suggest is taking a piece of tubing with an I.D. slightly larger than the bolts. Cut 5 1" pieces off of it and slit them down the sides. Then slip them between the bolt heads and the intake to hold them up while you install the intake in the car.

I've had mine on and off at least a half a dozen times and I finally broke down and used this method the last time when putting on my FAST. Needless to say, it's a lot easier and less frustrating.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by marv
One tip I will suggest is taking a piece of tubing with an I.D. slightly larger than the bolts. Cut 5 1" pieces off of it and slit them down the sides. Then slip them between the bolt heads and the intake to hold them up while you install the intake in the car.

I've had mine on and off at least a half a dozen times and I finally broke down and used this method the last time when putting on my FAST. Needless to say, it's a lot easier and less frustrating.
Very interesting, and that's a great ideal because I know on my friend's vette with a cowl not nearly as big we had to hold up the back two, so I guess it's 4 for the f-body with that picnic table... thanks for the tip! Here's one for you, how do you get the tubing off? do you just use straws or something and then just cut 'em off?

-J
Old 03-16-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Very interesting, and that's a great ideal because I know on my friend's vette with a cowl not nearly as big we had to hold up the back two, so I guess it's 4 for the f-body with that picnic table... thanks for the tip! Here's one for you, how do you get the tubing off? do you just use straws or something and then just cut 'em off?

-J

Yeah man it worked like a champ. Can't believe I didn't do it sooner. I think I ended up using five since there is one bolt on the passenger side of the intake that is just far enough back to be a pain. I think you can get that one in there after setting the intake in place, but it's a bit aggravating.

Once I got the intake where it needed to be, there was still enough room for me to get my hand in there and pull the pieces out. I actually used short pieces of rubber hose (like small radiator hose) that I had laying around.

Not sure on the size, but I'd guess 1/2" or 3/8" maybe. I'd just take one of the bolts and run by the nearest, respectable autoparts store and see what they've got. That way you can compare sizes and see what works best.

If you can't get your hand in there on the back ones, you could probably use a pair of needle nose pliers to get in there. I don't recall having any real issues getting them out though.

Good luck!!
Old 03-16-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Addict

Oh I just had a brainstorm... Cut a slit down the length of the hose, so that you can just get a needle nose on there, and PULL the hose "around" the bolt. I tried to take a look at it yesterday and getting my hand back there could be... interesting I'm gonna snap a few pics of this method when I do it.

-J
Old 03-16-2007, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lastcall190
Oh I just had a brainstorm... Cut a slit down the length of the hose, so that you can just get a needle nose on there, and PULL the hose "around" the bolt. I tried to take a look at it yesterday and getting my hand back there could be... interesting I'm gonna snap a few pics of this method when I do it.

-J
Haha...yeah man, that's what I was referring to...probably didn't explain that real well. Otherwise, it'd be tough to get them off.

It's not that bad once you get everything in place though. I imagine you'll have plenty of room.
Old 03-23-2007, 09:01 AM
TECH Addict

Almost got it off... I changed up marv's technique and used clothes pins... works AWESOME to hold the bolts up, you can compress them with two fingers, they hold the bolts up, and they're big and easy to take off when done. Now I just gotta not break the sending unit...

-J