Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Igintion problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Igintion problems

I have a '98 Z28, and I am getting a p0300 code. The car is way down on power, but I am not getting a specific cylender to look at. I checked all theplugs, and it appears that #6 is not firing by the plug, but I am not getting that code. Do I replace the coil? Has anyone ever had this on their car? Could it be an igintion module? Help Please.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

try posting this is the tuning section, stupid question have you switched plug wires?
Old 03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Teching In

nope, i havent tried wires yet, it was running great and then boom, no power, driving down te highway.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Swap the #6 coil with #4 before just condemning the coil. P0300 is hard to diagnose without a scanner. Could be a number of things - look up the code at gearchatter.com for your year. www.gearchatter.com/viewtopic8732.php
Old 03-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Teching In

okay, switched coils, no change. i have started systematically pulling plug wires and starting the car, Ther is no change regardless of plug if it is on the passenger side bank. It has to be some sensor, or plug or something, I hope. when i first got my nitrous, the guys here told me to plug into the coil wire for my tach signal. the car ran just like it is now and i got the same check engine light. i have tested all of the wires with a multimeter, and they all ohm between 330-350 ohms. I am at a loss here guys, no idea what it could be.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just because the P0300 is thrown doesn't mean it is an ignition problem. When there are issues causing problems with cylinder pressure, it can cause this problem, so don't focus only on ignition. Here are some tips.
A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

Faulty spark plugs or wires
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector(s)
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
Faulty camshaft position sensor
Defective computer

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. Check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors or fuel injector wiring.

Random misfires that jump around from one cylinder to another (read: P030x codes) also will set a P0300 code. The underlying cause is often a lean fuel condition, which may be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or unmetered air getting past the airflow sensor, or an EGR valve that is stuck open.

I hope this helps!
Old 03-23-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

check the coil harness going to each coil for chaffing or rub thru
Old 04-18-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you ever discover the cause of the problem?