Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Broke a header bolt off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question HELP! Broke a header bolt off!

Hello LS1tech people, I'm doing a header swap on a couple of Z06's this weekend and I broke off a header bolt in the head . I broke the second bolt back on the driverside head. Someone who had the car before him did some work or putthe car back to stock and screwed up the header bolts and the bolts got mixed up so I could not place them back in there correct bolt hole. Does anyone have any tips. Could I install the headers with the bolt missing to move the car to another location? I was barrowing someones lift and the car has to be out by tomarrow. I'm thinking if I install it and drive it to another location to pull the head will that be ok or will the header leak bad? Any info from you Techs out there would help me out alot.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The header wont leak bad trust me, im running aroung without a bolt on my car haha and to be honest i cant hear a thing.
Old 03-24-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will probably be fine, just do not get on the thing when you are moving it.

Is there enough room to get two nuts on the stud? You can get it out that way <by tightening the two nuts together and then UNtightening the one closest to the head>, if not you can hit it with PB Blaster and some vice grips. If it is flush, you will probably need to go with your plan of pulling the head later.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

The bolt has like one thread sticking out but it is TIGHT in there. I'm just going to plan to pull the head off and get a machine shop to pull it out.