Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 sensors not fitting into Pacesetter Lt's??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:27 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unhappy O2 sensors not fitting into Pacesetter Lt's??

I just installed a brand new set of Pacesetter Long tubes(race) and i could not be happier with the ease of install.
They went in with NO troubles at all!

Now.... I went to hook everything back up and found that the factory oxygen sensors do NOT fit into the headers due to clearence issues with my A4 trans.

I managed to get the drivers side o2 in,but the wires actually rub against my shifter linkage.

I can NOT get the passenger oxygen sensor even into the header due to clearence issues with the trans,the sensor hits the trans.

Any ideas?????

headers look great and installed beautifully,i have seen issues with oil filter clearence(did search) but nothing i found so far about o2 sensors.

Got any ideas?? I bought then from Speed Inc . I have not talked to anyone yet,i just left the garage. I JUST put down my wrenches!

TIA

Dave
Old 03-24-2007, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow I never heard of that problem!! I know my pacesetter longtubes had the air and egr fitting on the wrong tubes in the wrong spot I was able to get air on but had to
!egr (which I didn't want to do) maybe I'd try to compare with another set to make sure the o2 holes are in the same spot!.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

i just installed pacesetter longtube race style headers 2 days ago in my 00 a4 and i had no cleance issues at all i know it was a tight fit to get the passanger one in but i did it and it took a while just be patiant my friend u will get it in!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:06 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96blkformula
i just installed pacesetter longtube race style headers 2 days ago in my 00 a4 and i had no cleance issues at all i know it was a tight fit to get the passanger one in but i did it and it took a while just be patiant my friend u will get it in!
I am thinking about going to the parts store and looking into aftermarket sensors,maybe one of them will be either shorter or thinner at the contact area.

Thanks,i will try again tomorrow after i settle down and clear my head.

My Hooker headers were MUCH harder (tighter) to installed and remove. I bought the black Hooker Lt's and they rusted,so i replaced them with the Pacesetters with the Armor coating.

Thanks

Dave
Old 03-25-2007, 01:53 AM
12 Second Club

'99 Z28 A4 here with Pacesetter LT's & ORY, also bought from Speed Inc., and Bosch 13111 O2's. No issues.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by amsterdamn
'99 Z28 A4 here with Pacesetter LT's & ORY, also bought from Speed Inc., and Bosch 13111 O2's. No issues.
If all else fail's i will try the Bosch sensors, i wish i could post up some pictures.
But i don't have the equipment for it.

Thanks

Dave
Old 03-28-2007, 11:16 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
If all else fail's i will try the Bosch sensors...
They're no different in size than stock O2's. I have no idea why yours don't fit properly. I never heard of this before.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:05 PM
That's what she said...

The Bosch's are the same size.

Can you post some pics of what you're dealing with? I've seen a set where the O2 bungs were welded on in the truck location before.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

I had a similar problem. It was a little hard to get it in there and started but it eventually started after messing with it for a minute. Just make sure its square and get a wrench on it and turn it.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:49 PM
On The Tree

Are you talking about they aren't long enough?
Old 03-28-2007, 10:12 PM
11 Second Club

mine were tight but they did go in ive heard about this before though.just take a hammer and dent in the area alittle where the bung is
Old 03-29-2007, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

I re-used the stock O2s on my pacesetters. I noticed mine contacted the shifter linkage on the DS, but it looked like they only hit when the trans was in park. Check yours out...

As for the PS, I had no issues there.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:38 AM
11 Second Club

Sorry i have been working way too many hours.

I called Speed Inc and was told by a sales man that when they install the Pacesetter LT's on an Automatc LS1 they do not use the provided bung for the passenger O2. they plug it and weld in a new one in a different spot for clearence .The M6 is no trouble.
My first question was ,why did no one tell me when i ordered them?

I was recommended to Bend the header!
Or to plug the bung and drill a hole then weld a new bung in a better location!

Neither option sounds cool to me, i called Pacesetter.
I talked to Joe in sales and he asked for pictures,so i borrowed a camera and snapped a few shots under my car and e-mailed them to him.

I waited a few days and finally I called back.
I was told the picts were forwarded to another department and he would be contacting me with what they come up with.

So no word yet.

I have returned the camera or i would post some shots right now.

Maybe i can get the camera again this weekend and show you what i am having issues with.

thanks
Dave
Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by redsscamaroboy
Sorry i have been working way too many hours.

I called Speed Inc and was told by a sales man that when they install the Pacesetter LT's on an Automatc LS1 they do not use the provided bung for the passenger O2. they plug it and weld in a new one in a different spot for clearence .The M6 is no trouble.
My first question was ,why did no one tell me when i ordered them?

I was recommended to Bend the header!

Neither option sounds cool to me, i called Pacesetter.
I talked to Joe in sales and he asked for pictures,so i borrowed a camera and snapped a few shots under my car and e-mailed them to him.

I waited a few days and finally I called back.
I was told the picts were forwarded to another department and he would be contacting me with what they come up with.

So no word yet.

I have returned the camera or i would post some shots right now.

Maybe i can get the camera again this weekend and show you what i am having issues with.

thanks
Dave
I'd like to know the outcome also since I have the same exact problem with my passenger side. I dented the lip of the pan a bit and the sensor went in, but not very easily.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:58 PM
Launching!

I've always wondered why they put the sensors sticking in. Besides the fit problems people are having, you have to route the wires up around the headers rather than right down the subframe. How tough would it be for them to just put the bungs on the outside? And why don't they (and the vendors) let you know about the needed A4 mod - it's not like 99% of the cars out there are manuals? Also, it's not like you want them to just barely fit - they need some space so the don't get damaged when the motor moves around under torque. Rant off.

I wanted a bit extra clearance on my FlowTech's so I stuck a big bar in there and pried the driver's side down about 1/2''. If you have a long, strong bar (no jokes please) it just takes a bit of muscle. It's what I'd do rather than remove them or hack them up moving the bung (especially if they are coated).

Steve
Old 04-13-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That would be the best and easiest way to do it. Had to be done to my driver side header, but it was hitting the shifter linkage on my th400 trans when the trans was in park. I haven't heard of this issue with any a A4 trans b4.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:40 AM
11 Second Club

Ok i now have the photos i sent to Pacesetter in this computer,how ever i am not a smart enough man to figure out how to show all you wonderful people just yet. .

I will try and figure it out after i get some rest(just got home from work)

Joe @ Pacesetter and i talked today,he is going to take a header out of inventory and put the sensor bung in a spot that will work for me. Then re-appliy the coating so no rusting around the weld.
Should be handled inside of a few more days(4-5).

Very helpful company,I am looking forward to fixing this issue and when the GTO (2006 LS2) headers are available , getting a set of those as well.

06 Goat(our latest toy)

Dave
Old 04-15-2007, 12:22 AM
11 Second Club

I will post the pictures of what issues i had ,also pictures of the replacement header when i can.

Dave

Quick Reply: O2 sensors not fitting into Pacesetter Lt's??