Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mamo ported 90, extremely impressed

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 10:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Mamo ported 90, extremely impressed

Well I was humming and hawing for months on end on what I should do, and I finally decided to just go for it since I wanted to have the edge and do things right and do em once, so I went ahead and bought a FAST 90mm intake and had it immediately shipped to Tony Mamo for porting.

I'll admit the funds to have the job done was what was keeping me from making a decision sooner, but now that I have it back I dont regret it for a second. It's totally assembled and it's pretty obvious alot of time and bench work went into the final design configuration. Even if at first I thought I could do this on my own (which most things related to my car, I do, do on my own) I highly doubt this is something I would of been capable of.

So now I know I got the best peice around, and I dont doubt its going to show it where it counts most for me. At the track.

If any one else was contemplating having it done, and wasnt sure if it was the real deal or wished there was a thread online to help them make a decision, well then consider this the official thread, because I too had wished there was more feedback threads on this kind of work. So go ahead and get this done. You have to see it for yourself.

Anyone else with a similar experience or further questions feel free to post up.

Thanks again Tony,

Jaime
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine is sitting on my work bench right now waiting on weather. Got it back from Tony about a week ago. I agree, I could have never done the intake justice if I had attempted it, and its obvious Tony knows what he is doing. Now if the weather would just cut me some slack, I would be all set. I also polished the outside of my NW throttle body, looks great.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

what did it cost to have tony port it. I've been debating sending mine off
Old 03-26-2007, 02:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lt1formula2000
what did it cost to have tony port it. I've been debating sending mine off
Should be $500 unless something has changed.
Old 03-26-2007, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didnt have mine ported because i couldnt imagine paying 500 for a port job, but i may just suck it up and send it in one of these days anyway. he seems to have really good results with these.

What are the Hp/TQ gains of the ported over the unported FAST on a head/cam setup? Im too lazy to search right now.
Old 03-26-2007, 05:16 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by brad8266
I didnt have mine ported because i couldnt imagine paying 500 for a port job, but i may just suck it up and send it in one of these days anyway. he seems to have really good results with these.

What are the Hp/TQ gains of the ported over the unported FAST on a head/cam setup? Im too lazy to search right now.
brad, not sure if you saw this but Tony posted this a while back. while the initial price seems expensive when you break it down hp/$ wise its actually pretty cost effective.

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
Consider this in your search for "value" (I look at everything on a HP per dollar basis).

If you already have a good epoxied and ported 78 mm TB (like a Mark Shaner piece or something similar) score a 78 unit cheap and just consider having it ported. Even at the prices I charge to do a very neat and thorough job your return on investment is still better than buying a larger 85 mm TB and cutting up the snout which might close the gap in half between the 78 and the 90 netting you 2-3 HP. For an extra few hundred you would see an additional gain of 10 RWHP and a similar bump in TQ (my ported FAST 78 set-up went 20 RWHP and 15 RWTQ stronger than my former LS6/78 set-up as I previously mentioned).

For grins I just whipped up this spreadsheet....prices and performance may vary slightly but I think the general point I am making would still be intact.

Manifold.............Avg Retail $$...........Typical Gain.........Cost/HP

Stk FAST 78.............700........................8....... ............. $87
Stk FAST 90 (w/ TB)..1200......................13................. ...$92
FAST 78 w/ 85 mm.....900.......................11............... .....$82
Ported FAST 78.........1200......................18........... .........$67
Ported FAST 90/90.....1700......................23............... .....$74

The key is to understand that the snout doesn't represent the largest restriction in the FAST hence the smaller gains when messing with it. Reshaping and reconfiguring the ports are where the larger gains in airflow and power can be unlocked....

Tony
Old 03-26-2007, 05:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks JRP, so it seems to be about a 10HP gain going from my stock 90/90 to a ported FAST with NW90, thats worth 500$ to me. HP gets expensive after you already have pretty much everything else done, so 10Hp for $500 is reasonable. I could just make an extra 10HP in the spray, but i want to have max HP NA. I also hear that with the ported FAST you pick up great power down low which is a concern of mine, i love low end power especially when i am too lazy to downshift.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

Thats right, once youve already done everything else, there becomes less and less available options to gain extra power. So you need to decide what its worth to you. Plus if you're looking to maximize the gains you would get from your other mods then its a no brainer. No use getting a huge cam and choke it up with an LS1 intake etc.

On the plus side however, from what I can tell the gains arent just peak hp, its across the board along with torque across the board.

Plus unlike FI type power, its always there.

If someone were to call it a Mamopod v.8 and you could bolt it onto the motor and it would give the gains a ported FAST does and costs the same as the port work would it suddenly be a worthwhile mod?

Just cause you cant hold it in your hands, doesnt disqualify the end results
Old 03-28-2007, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

After reading all of the great posts on Tony Mamo’s port work I didn’t give it a second thought and immediately got in touch with Tony so that he could do his magic on my FAST 90! Since he lives about 1 hour away from me I decided to go pick it up in person and I was amazed at what I saw!!! He was doing another port job on a FAST 90 and he left 1 of them alone so that I could compare the difference between ported and un-ported. First of all he straitens out each port because some are slanted a little and makes them perfectly straight! Then he widens and lengthens each port all the way inside into the manifold! And it is a constant port all the way in. It doesn’t narrow down or nothing! On the un-ported runner I couldn’t even fit 4 fingers in there! But on a ported runner all 4 fingers went in nice and snug! He also removes all the bumps and humps that would disrupt air flow and makes it perfectly smooth!! I would never have been able too do this kind of work but im glad someone does! Its obvious that a lot of research and development went into making this kind of port work! And I don’t regret spending the extra cash on it at all! Especially since it will make more power with each upgrade I do!

Thanks Tony!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

How did tony match port the intake to your heads? Just curious!
Old 03-29-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

I told him that i wanted to get some AFR 205cc heads in the future and he said that his porting work was perfect for those type heads! but if you make him a templete of your existing heads he could match them asswell! but i dont know if he would charge extra for that! Ill post some pics up tomorow! if i find my damn camera!
Old 03-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camaroextra
pics?
Old 03-29-2007, 01:35 AM
Launching!

Ok quick question don't want to hijack thread. For someone looking to reach 500 RWHP NA would porting be that important? Or should I spend my money elsewhere? ...Broke college student btw... Thanks.
Old 03-29-2007, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MikeD101898
Ok quick question don't want to hijack thread. For someone looking to reach 500 RWHP NA would porting be that important? Or should I spend my money elsewhere? ...Broke college student btw... Thanks.
If youre looking to do that N/A in a 5.7 then I would say 100% forsure. To get to that kind of power you cant afford to pass up available horsepower cause it'll be hard as hell to get there.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:08 PM
Launching!

I installed my Mamofied FAST 90 and NW 90 TB last summer. Can not say enough about the work Tony does - The best there is.

Thanks again Tony for all of your expertise.

JG853

View this link for my results - https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ighlight=JG853
Old 03-29-2007, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

I found my camera! but its broken! it seams that 2 year old children dont now the difference beetween a camera and a toy!
Old 03-30-2007, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Old 03-30-2007, 12:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Ragtop 99

they are ported FAST intakes... what in the hell do you want to see? LOL
shaved plastic FAST intake... its just ported plastic.. the art to it is the key, but why so insistent on pics
Old 03-30-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I didn't take mine apart when I had it, so I'd like to see if it is mostly removing flashing or if there is smoothing etc. just curious as to how much difference there is.

There are certainly lots of pics of ported heads, we need some ported intake pics to go with them.

Quick Reply: Mamo ported 90, extremely impressed