Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New exhaust, shaking?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 08:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New exhaust, shaking?

A4 Trans am with 86,xxx miles.

I put on a magnaflow exhaust about month a half ago, and starting about a week ago the exhaust is making some odd noise. When I'm at a lite or just barely in the gas I can hear it shaking/ratteling in the rear. It only does this in gear (A4 car). If its in neutral doesnt do it idling or reving, but put it and gear and sit and you can hear it and see it from the outside. Just the exhause is shaking.

Could this be the rubber hangers shot?

Also, on those who have a magnaflow system, the over the axle piece has a bracket on it but no where to go? The stock hanger location where to bracket is didnt work (no hook on it unlike other side), so did magnaflow forget a piece?

Thanks.

\\edit - also, seems to do this more in the morning than in the afternoon. Could this be CAT related (cause they'd be warmer after being in the heat all day). But still makes this sound later on in the day, just not nearly as bad.

Last edited by =Tac=; 03-27-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:39 PM
On The Tree

Just to add a little to this....

SES light came on today, P0410, had this code before, was for the AIR system. The valves burnt up in it. Could this be related? the Air system pumps fresh air into the cats to warm em up, if they're clogged, after excessive startups with the restriction, burn up the system? Had parts of it worked on and replaced in december.

Also, I was at a light tonight and noticed something interesting, with AC on you can hear the exhaust in the back shake more than with it off?

Any ideas?
Old 03-29-2007, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Anyone?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i go with your hunch on the hangers....
Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Would there be a reason why the rattling increases with the A/C?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just because theres more load on the motor and with that comes different vibration
Old 03-29-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's kind of a strange problem, the only thing I could think of would be getting underneath and banging around to check your cats, bolts, anything etc.

If your getting the AIR code you could just remove the system, it would have to be tuned out but it would eliminate that problem. There are some good write ups on this board and you can get the block off plates etc. from a sponsor.

Good luck with the problem hopefully someone who has an idea chimes in!!!