Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 clamshell mount applicability

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 06:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 clamshell mount applicability

It would be much appreciated if someone could provide a list of applicable chassis-engines that can use the clamshell style motor mounts found on the 98 F-Body for example. Im assuming that the mount is only used on the LS1 power plant, but verification would be grand. Yr range and models of applicable vehicles much appreciated as well. Have a rough list, just need verification from somwone more in the know.

thanks in advance!
Robert
Old 03-28-2007, 09:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you inquiring for new product development or just to see where and what models it fits? The clam shell design motor mount has been used by GM since the late 1960s, and is a standard item. Hence why you can purchase a generic clam shell motor mount from Energy Suspension or Prothane Suspension for pretty much all years of GM products. This applies mainly to front engine, rear wheel drive vehicles and trucks.
Old 03-31-2007, 05:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 12secSS
Are you inquiring for new product development or just to see where and what models it fits? The clam shell design motor mount has been used by GM since the late 1960s, and is a standard item. Hence why you can purchase a generic clam shell motor mount from Energy Suspension or Prothane Suspension for pretty much all years of GM products. This applies mainly to front engine, rear wheel drive vehicles and trucks.
Thanks for the reply. I apologize for the late response as I have been on the road. I am inquiring about the applicability of these mounts because I am working with a manufacturer to develop bolt-on replacements for these mounts which will be of a higher durometer that stock yet retain near stock NVH levels. Same goes for the transmission mount. At this time I'm focused solely on the mounts such that are found on the 98 Trans Am for example. Are these particular mounts retro apllicable back to the 60's, or is it just the overall style that has been repeated?

IOW, if I were to offer a mount for a 98 transam, who else could use it?

thanks again!
Robert
Old 03-31-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If your planning on marketing a new production, I would say you really need to use the Search function (both here and on the Internet) and research a lot of other manufactors data on applications, as 12secSS stated, these are used on many applications and if you had looked at Energy Suspension (and others) catalogs as he stated, you would have your answer on applications for years and models.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:26 AM
Staging Lane

Good on ya, and I apologize if there is a misunderstanding. I am currently traveling abroad and was looking for rough break-down from someone who may have had this information handy as it is useful to have a rough ballpark before I contact GM and begin an extensive on-line search. This thread was in no way a replacement for the research that needs to be conducted. Thanks for your input.

Robert