Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would not capping off the coolant line through the TB cause a vacuum leak?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 01:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would not capping off the coolant line through the TB cause a vacuum leak?

I recently did a TB coolant bypass, and didn't cap the unused ends of the coolant line running through the TB. I'm pretty sure that wouldn't cause vacuum issues, but I thought I'd check since I'm still having some trouble with my idle after the ported TB and TB bypass installs.

Also worth noting is that I elected to have the upper part of the inside of the TB epoxied and drilled, in hopes to smooth out the airflow, while allowing enough air through the IAC port. Do you guys think this might be a problem also? Thanks.
Old 03-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Launching!

For the tb to cause a vacuum leak, it would have been pissing coolant before. Don't know about the other question.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:53 PM
11 Second Club

idling issues could be cause by porting too much where the throttle blade seats when closed. my 2 cents

Last edited by its turbo time; 03-31-2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old 03-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The coolant lines don't come in contact with anything remotely related to the airflow in the throttle body. It just passes through a small portion in the bottom, and goes on its merry way out the other side.

My guess is that the port work might have been a little on the heavy side.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I cut my coolant tubes off my throttle body. Did you port yourself?
Old 03-31-2007, 05:06 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can yank the coolant tubes out of the throttle body. They are pressed in harder than hell, but they will come out. They will not cause a vacuum leak at all.

I always advise people to stay away from the expoxy/drilling of TB's. They look nice afterwards, but it does next-to-nothing for performance. First off, if it's not in there, it can't fall out. And second it doesn't interupt the airflow to the IAC/Fresh air tube.

Now, you're having a HIGH idle problem, which means the IAC definatly doesn't have a LACK of air, so you can rule that out. I'd guess it's an idle screw problem, air leaking around the blade, or the gasket leaking around the throttle body/manifold connection.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Default i agree

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
The coolant lines don't come in contact with anything remotely related to the airflow in the throttle body. It just passes through a small portion in the bottom, and goes on its merry way out the other side.

My guess is that the port work might have been a little on the heavy side.
its either not sealing good to the intake or someone fucked it up when porting.im not a big fan of epoxy in my air intake path iether.