Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have belt slippage problems with their underdriver pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Does anyone have belt slippage problems with their underdriver pulleys?

I remember this used to be an issue with LS1's, and it is something I DEFINITELY do not want to deal with on a C5. F-body, no problem you can change the belt from the top without jacking up the car. C5? Forget about it. I purchased a powerbond underdrive pulley for my new engine, and the last thing I want is it flying off. Should I buy something like a Katech billet tensioner to avoid this? I don't care to be stranded somewhere. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:38 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never seen problems with it, but not too many 'vette owners post in here. Us f-bod guys usually run them out.

I'd try it without it at first, you probably won't have a problem. If you're a baller, go ahead and buy the Katech tensioner, you'll even have the pimp factor.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
I've never seen problems with it, but not too many 'vette owners post in here. Us f-bod guys usually run them out.

I'd try it without it at first, you probably won't have a problem. If you're a baller, go ahead and buy the Katech tensioner, you'll even have the pimp factor.

I had 5 f-bodies before I had a vette Never had an underdrive pulley though, I was always afraid of this belt slipping problem. I have a 383 in the works, and I didn't want to reuse my balancer off my old LS1.
Old 04-01-2007, 03:27 AM
Launching!

I've run a 25% underdrive ASP for at least 4 years and have never thrown a single belt. The pulley is now literally coming apart but still no thrown belt. I wouldn't worry about it - I suspect that people that had this problem had other causes such as mis-aligned pulleys.

I really believe in 25% underdrive pulleys. Besides the added power, there is less wear and tear on your accessories and, in theory, better gas mileage (although the improvement would be negligible).

Steve