Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

True duals are finally on :)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default True duals are finally on :)

I've had my car in the shop for about a week now and I stopped by today to see how it was going and he said about an hour and a half left . It is a 2.5" X over the axle with flowmaster 1-chambers. It looks very good so far. I was surprised to see that he didn't have both pipes coming over the passenger side of the axle, but one on each side. I didn't think that was possible. He said "it just depends on how determined you are on getting it over." He is going to wrap them in some heat stuff to to protect the stuff up there around them. When I told one of the other guys in the shop what I was having done, they said, "I didn't even know true duals were possible on those cars, but I guess Greg is the exhaust king." We'll see about that. I should have some pics for you in a little over an hour.

Is it uncommon to take one of the pipes over the driver's side? All I've even seen was over the passenger.
Old 04-01-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah if love to hear some sound clips as well!
Old 04-01-2007, 01:27 PM
TECH Addict

ive seen it done a few times where one pipe is taken over each side. i guess it works. honestly, if it was me id have them going underneath the axle on each side of the differential. it kinda has a mean look from the rear when done right. anyway, lets see some pics u slacker. its been over an hour
Old 04-01-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Addict

i want sound clips
Old 04-01-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

me too me too....

you mods in sig seem reasonably stock so I want to hear ur setup..
Old 04-01-2007, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Sorry it took so long, my dad and I went out to eat after .

Yeah mine should sound stock except the LT's. If you have those it will sound the same... and it sounds awesome. I was worried it would be too loud when I saw how tiny those mufflers were, but it isn't. It is very quiet at idle. Almost as quiet as my Hooker, which is great. Its quiet below 1000-1500 rpms, and then it gets loud something like twice as fast as the Hooker did. Sounds very good though. Cruising at 45 it is literally silent. I couldn't hear it. Then at 65 it has a bit of drone, but nothing worse than the Hooker did, and very tolerable. You could still talk in a normal voice with someone else. Still has some rasp to it though. Not like it did before, but its still there. Nothing too bad though. I think my engine may just be raspy. Could it have something to do with the A/F ratio? That maybe a tune would fix?

Anyway, how do I make the size of a video file smaller? Once I take some vids I can put them up for you guys to see if I can make the file size smaller.

Ok, here are a couple pics he took at the shop from the back end.

(if anyone knows a site that I can upload the full size pics I'll get these a bit bigger)
Old 04-01-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks clean
Old 04-01-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looks good but that is between 2 pieces that move with the suspension... I bet it will bang if you go over a decent bump.
Old 04-01-2007, 05:19 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Raise
honestly, if it was me id have them going underneath the axle on each side of the differential. it kinda has a mean look from the rear when done right.
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails True duals are finally on :)-billys-stuff-011.jpg  
Old 04-01-2007, 07:23 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, i found that out today. Unfortunately I have to cross nastly railroad tracks to get to my house, so I need to do something about that. If I bought a bolt in relocation bracket that would lower the control arm "up to 3" " it says, would that work?

Also, I'm really surprised that there is still rasp with this thing. I take back what I said about it being not near as bad as with the Hooker, it is almost as bad. It just doesn't have as loud of a "pop" to it. Does anyone know if the tune would fix that?
Old 04-01-2007, 10:28 PM

a tune will definally fix a rasp problem most rasp is caused by the motor not properly beening tuned after such modifications, but for the most part the duals look great hope your happy with them
Old 04-02-2007, 12:58 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah I am. So far so good. I think I may actually get a tune before I get my torque converter to get rid of that rasp. I need to pick up some brackets to relocate my control arm so it doesn't bump that pipe, but other than those two things it's great .
Old 04-02-2007, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

I think the rasp came from u running them out the back and adding the extra pipe.....My 1-chambers are dumped and i have 0 rasp.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
Yeah I am. So far so good. I think I may actually get a tune before I get my torque converter to get rid of that rasp. I need to pick up some brackets to relocate my control arm so it doesn't bump that pipe, but other than those two things it's great .

The relocation bracket won't do you any good, it just moves the pass side lower for more room over there, which would actually make things worse on the drivers side. The only way to get rid of the banging is to either remove the upper panhard bar (BAD IDEA) or to notch it. Also a bad idea, but not as bad as removing it entirely.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GT Griller
I think the rasp came from u running them out the back and adding the extra pipe.....My 1-chambers are dumped and i have 0 rasp.

I had mine dumped as well, with no rasp. I had an H-pipe instead of an X-pipe though.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

paint your rear.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:10 PM
12 Second Club

Lol, paint my rear? For what?

Anyway, why does it show two brackets on the pictures of them then? I thought because of those that you would put one on either side on the bar and it would lower the whole bar 3" straight down.

How would lowering the passenger side by itself make it worse for the drivers side? It would still lower it a touch on the drivers side (and the pipe is above it).
Old 04-02-2007, 03:34 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I had mine dumped as well, with no rasp. I had an H-pipe instead of an X-pipe though.
Mines an H-pipe too.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
Lol, paint my rear? For what?

Anyway, why does it show two brackets on the pictures of them then? I thought because of those that you would put one on either side on the bar and it would lower the whole bar 3" straight down.

How would lowering the passenger side by itself make it worse for the drivers side? It would still lower it a touch on the drivers side (and the pipe is above it).

Are you talking about the BMR piece?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:59 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, thats one of them. I was looking at speedinc.com. They have some from BMR and I believe TracTek also.