Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ss camaro ftra help? pics?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ss camaro ftra help? pics?

okay guys, i have the slp lid/k&n set up. Down here in tx it floods in some areas easily. ws6store/thunderracing say for best performance to seal off the lid on the ftra sys. So, air would be coming in from only the hood and induction kit, right? The block off plate is a concern for me. Does this mean it will keep water from going into the motor? Will my mpg/performance be hurt? im assuming so cause the air would be just from the hood? or maybe im understanding this wrong ...if you have this setup lemme know if its worth is and how it works. PLEASE POST PICS!!!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

forget about air from the hood cuz its so little it aint gonna matter. the FTRA seals off the front of the airbox so only air from under the car goes to your airbox. it wont hurt your mpg or anything. if you have abd weather than use the block off palte and open the front of the airbox back up. its jsut a peice of weather stripping that goes across the front
Old 04-02-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

i have the SSRA unit...which is a much lower air scoop than the FTRA.

i've driven in hurricane rain and pulled under an overpass...pulled the lid and found NO evidence of water in the lid/air box. therefore...unless you hit some 6" deep puddles at highway speed on a regular basis...don't worry about it.

i can't imagine texas rain being worse than hurricane ivan, rita, or wilma rain storms.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HOWEVER teke the SSRA is facing forward and has a spot for water to drain back out of so that helps im sure
Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by teke184
i have the SSRA unit...which is a much lower air scoop than the FTRA.

i've driven in hurricane rain and pulled under an overpass...pulled the lid and found NO evidence of water in the lid/air box. therefore...unless you hit some 6" deep puddles at highway speed on a regular basis...don't worry about it.
good to hear, my ssra is going in tomorrow. i remember a few posts a while back about people sealing up the hole between the 2 pieces with duct tape. i guess they figured it would stop some air flow from leaking and give more hp, but tainted makes a good point about it possibly allowing any water to escape....i'll have to research this further but the damn search isnt working now.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:27 AM
On The Tree

I sealed the front of the airbox when I installed the ssra. It is kindof sad to admit that nice looking hood does almost no good.

I may try the duct tape across the 2 pieces just to see what it does if I can ever get some track time.
Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 PM
FormerVendor

The block off plate is just a little piece of insurance that you can optionally install when you have to drive the car in REALLY bad weather. When you install the block off plate, you remove the front rubber seal supplied in the kit and the car will breathe in exactly the same manner as when stock. It prevents water from coming up through the duct work.

Most people never use it but we recommend you keep it in the car just in case you ever get stuck in a situation where the road conditions justify it's use. It's takes a very unique and rare set of circumstances to happen to actually hydrolock your motor and the block off plate just decreases the odds of it ever happening. The FTRA comes with a block off plate, other ram air kits do not.

If you have any questions, freel free to contact us.