Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Attempting to quiet down TSP true dual (suggestions on mufflers?)

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 12:10 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attempting to quiet down TSP true dual (suggestions on mufflers?)

Hey guys, well it looks like I'm going to be keeping my car and I'm looking at various options to make the car more fun to drive. Right now the biggest issue I have is the exhaust being far too loud for me to commute.

The exhaust is TSP true dual with bullets from magnaflow. I had my exhaust shop add under the axle extensions to 3.5" magnaflow exhaust tips. The systems sounds GOOD and looks good too but it's just too loud to enjoy for daily driving.

I know some guys have added 4X9 magnaflow mufflers to the TSP, cramming them up in the area around the frame rails, near the bumper.

My other option is to sell the entire system and go with a 3.5" mufflex system.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-03-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oval Borla XR-1's. Deep, mellow and GREAT for DD.(Mine is under the axle with my xr-1's) Oval XR-1's are comparable to a SLP D/D catback or a 2-OTL. Even with my H/C it wasn't loud until WOT, and even then it wasnt nearly as loud as my buddies with bullets and sprial flows. Just more refined. Good luck in your choice
Old 04-03-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
Oval Borla XR-1's. Deep, mellow and GREAT for DD.(Mine is under the axle with my xr-1's) Oval XR-1's are comparable to a SLP D/D catback or a 2-OTL. Even with my H/C it wasn't loud until WOT, and even then it wasnt nearly as loud as my buddies with bullets and sprial flows. Just more refined. Good luck in your choice
Great suggestion. Where are the XR-1s in your system? Also, which XR-1s are you running?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...44683_-1_10265

They list an XR1 that is 12" long with 3" inlets and outlets that is oval. I'm thinking that could work but would have to measure.

Thanks a million!

Last edited by jeffstar; 04-03-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:40 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are your current bullets in the same location as the TSP TDs come? You could simply add another set (like those XR1's) right before the bumper. It should be pretty quiet at that point.

Chad01tx has dumped duals with XR1's and it's suprisingly quiet. Sounds awesome too.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
Are your current bullets in the same location as the TSP TDs come? You could simply add another set (like those XR1's) right before the bumper. It should be pretty quiet at that point.

Chad01tx has dumped duals with XR1's and it's suprisingly quiet. Sounds awesome too.
Not a bad idea (adding inline to what is there) but which XR1s in particular are people running? I could see putting an XR1 oval style in place of the bullets, that may do a lot?
Old 04-03-2007, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jeffstar
Great suggestion. Where are the XR-1s in your system? Also, which XR-1s are you running?

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...44683_-1_10265

They list an XR1 that is 12" long with 3" inlets and outlets that is oval. I'm thinking that could work but would have to measure.

Thanks a million!
I'm running the 12" oval. They're located right before the axle(typical location as the exhaust was dumped at one time). A little floor board massaging is advised for incredible ground clearance(massaging, NOT BFH banging). You will not be disappointed my good man The XR-1's have a sound all their own.

Edit- I'll take some pictures of it, It's off the car. I'll post them up when I get home.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:07 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by jeffstar
Not a bad idea (adding inline to what is there) but which XR1s in particular are people running? I could see putting an XR1 oval style in place of the bullets, that may do a lot?
The bigger they are, the more they will hush your exhaust. I don't think the oval style's will fit where the TSP's bullets are without some work on the floor board.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
I'm running the 12" oval. They're located right before the axle(typical location as the exhaust was dumped at one time). A little floor board massaging is advised for incredible ground clearance(massaging, NOT BFH banging). You will not be disappointed my good man The XR-1's have a sound all their own.

Edit- I'll take some pictures of it, It's off the car. I'll post them up when I get home.
Cool. If you don't mind telling me the exact size you are running?

Thanks!
Old 04-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Launching!

I didnt honestly think duals were THAT loud. When I had a cutout in the I-pipe with my longtubes, it was A LOT louder than TSP duals
Old 04-03-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

i would just add another inline, whatever u choose. The sound would be so refined and smooth
Old 04-03-2007, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BlackSVT03
I didnt honestly think duals were THAT loud. When I had a cutout in the I-pipe with my longtubes, it was A LOT louder than TSP duals
And how was your engine modded?
Old 04-03-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dpw41285
i would just add another inline, whatever u choose. The sound would be so refined and smooth
Yeah I'm going to go with these in the extensions, as long as all my measurements are correct it should be perfect.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

I'm sure I'll be giving up around 10-15 rwhp, well worth it.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Jeffstar... Ive got a cam.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:51 PM
That's what she said...

I doubt you'll loose that much power, but it'll sure quiet it down. Pics/vids when it's done or BAN!