Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Descreening my stock MAF

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:51 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Descreening my stock MAF

I have a 2000 vette with a varam setup and I was wondering if it would be ok to descreen my stock MAF. I have a Diablo predator as well if that would help out any. I was told it would be fine but its a 2000 not a 98 so I had to ask. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

you will get mixed answers some say you wont get any problems other say to keep it on that you are good for 500hp. i dont have it but wish i did cuz it seems to make it a bit eaisier to fine tune the engine. sometimes on auto's it will make them shift funny also. i dont know if the diablo will be able to tune for that either. i would say keep it till you get a h/c combo or more.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:16 PM
On The Tree

i took them out of my 00 z28 auto and on the dyno the guy said it was stupied i should of left them in
Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

do whatever you want to do. Thats the straightest answer youll get. Some say you need it to straighten the airflow, some say you want the turbulance for atomization. BLah blah blah whatever reason you get (for removing/or keeping) there will be a post to debate the validation. Just like Newtons III law:
Old 04-03-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

fwiw mines gone, did i see a diff? no. no gain no loss...oh well
Old 04-03-2007, 08:10 PM
On the tree

It is not always going to be one little mod that make a huge change, it is the sum of all of the parts.

If it helps, the Z06 MAf does not come with the screens form the factory, there are several MAF from the factory that do not come with screens. I dont think the screen is there for "air flow straightening", I just dont see that little screen doing that. Plus it is not like the airflow is going right into the combustion chamber right after the MAF. It has to enter the plenum then be directed by the runners into the intake port and at the intake valve.

I am sure if any airflow straightening needed to be done for velocity it would be more beneficial to do it right before the air flow enters the intake valve.

That screen is nothing more than a way to offer the tiny fragile elements of the MAF some protection for large debris hitting them and breaking them.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Veteran

you probably will not see any gains on the dyno, or 1/4 mile.....
Old 04-03-2007, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

Default omg

Originally Posted by Sneakyws6
It is not always going to be one little mod that make a huge change, it is the sum of all of the parts.

If it helps, the Z06 MAf does not come with the screens form the factory, there are several MAF from the factory that do not come with screens. I dont think the screen is there for "air flow straightening", I just dont see that little screen doing that. Plus it is not like the airflow is going right into the combustion chamber right after the MAF. It has to enter the plenum then be directed by the runners into the intake port and at the intake valve.

I am sure if any airflow straightening needed to be done for velocity it would be more beneficial to do it right before the air flow enters the intake valve.

That screen is nothing more than a way to offer the tiny fragile elements of the MAF some protection for large debris hitting them and breaking them.
when people say its there to straighten airflow they mean that it straightens the air so the meter can read it better.

i took mine out it done nothing then i stupidly ported it."damn internet" well it ran good for around a hundred miles or so.then the ecu noticed the change and went all to hell.luckily i found one on ebay really cheap.
the wife was goin i told you so i told you so.i even made a post that went on for days at how much porting it and the t/b helped .oh well id leave it be.gm put it there for a rewason
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its like a hit or miss kinda thing its up to u.
Old 04-03-2007, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Just leave it in.....it's not hurting your performance, gains if any will be negligiable
Old 04-03-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Well if it doesnt hurt anything I will remove it. On my 98 z28 we ported the MAF ends and it made a difference but I was told not to on 2000 and up. I also heard you can turn it backwards and it would make a difference but I havent tried that either.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:48 PM
TECH Resident

Default leave it

Leave it on there i just had to buy a new one cause i couldnt get a good dyno tune without it there . There was 2 twin turbo vettes there at the shop on with 670 hp the other with 723 hp both with stock mafs on them
Old 04-04-2007, 07:48 AM
On the tree

Once again there is no way that the screen that is maybe 1/2" from the MAF elements is going to straighten any airflow out. If straighten the airflow out was so critical dont you think the Z06 would of have had the same screen on it from the factory?

Some years back one of the sites did a CFM flow test and it is worth about 50cfm of airflow to remove the MAF screen. I have done it on every car I have even owned and never had a issue.

I did the ported MAF as well and had bad luck with it so I replaced it with a stock one and took the screens out. I also used poly ends but was having some tuning issues so I went back to the stock ends to resolve that. The screens are still out though.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:56 AM
On The Tree

Thanks if its worth 50cfm then I will pull it I just wont port the ends. Thanks everyone for the help.