Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Else's #4 MSD Plug Wire Boot Touch QTP Primary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone Else's #4 MSD Plug Wire Boot Touch QTP Primary?

Changing my plugs for the first time since QTP long-tube header install and noticed my #4 (second one from front on passenger's side) MSD plug wire boot was against the primary. It's meled through maybe 1/16"-1/8" of rubber. I don't know what I'm going to do about it either. Damn it! Doesn't feel like it's causing any problems, though...

Suggestions?

Anyone else have this problem?

Car runs great. Thought it was about time that I change the TR 55's, but now that I've only changed the first two (#2 and #4), they both look like brand new. So, it feels like I'm doing this for no reason now.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spark plug wire boot...........protects up to 1500F. Slips over the wire end. I have one right now on my #3 wire. $8 from the high performance mail order places.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a set of z06 wires and be done with it.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I had the same problem, the MSD Wire boot can be bent just enough so it will not rub the headers. Try bending the boot a little be careful not to bend to much.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:08 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can sometimes "aim" the connector on the coil pack end in such a way that it tugs the spark plug end away from the primary. You can try that, and also try bending the MSD wire a bit.
Old 04-06-2007, 09:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to call Speed Inc. in a bit and ask for one boot and some new wires. Or, I'll ask them if there is some type of bracket i can get. Tried "aiming" the plug wire out of the coil, but couldn't get it away from the primary. Drove the car and it's not misfireing or anything, but I bet it will.

I think now that it's only laying against the header, not pressed against it. Though, I'm so sure that it was pressed against it before.

I'm down to the last plug... the Dread Number Eight. *shivers*

Lo, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of tore up hands and shredded forearms, I shall fear no jutting screws, ridges, and those-spikes-like-teeth-that-jut-from-the-coil-packs, because I know thou art with me, oh rice-hating car god.
Old 04-06-2007, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

I have the same problem with my stock wired but on more than one of them with my qtp's. but after six months non of them have melted at all.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just call up MSD and tell them your problem. Tell them you need a plug wire that's 1" longer then the standard length for LS1's. They'll send it to you for free without any questions asked. I had to do the same on the #6 plug after the install of my pacesetters.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Regular

I hade msd, switch back to the red oem ones. Fit so much better. Might look into that.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Maybe you've tried this already, but QTP makes the holes in the flanges larger to allow for a little adjustability. Have you tried loosening the flange bolts, and the exhaust at the collectors to see if you could physically move the whole header away from the boot in question? I know it sounds like a lot of work but it may help from burning boots in the future.