Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

custom oil pan - questions

Old 04-09-2007, 01:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom oil pan - questions

Alright, I'm researching a project and I may need a custom oil pan made and I have a few questions.

The pan is going to have to be more of a mid-sump type pan. I don't know how much room I will have for the sump, lengthwise. A crossmember will be in the way of the sump in the rear, so I'm looking to have a wider pan made, so the sump can have the same volume. Imagine a typical ls1 pan with the sump turned sideways, and more towards the center of the pan. I'm looking for something similar to this (click picture for larger size):

The real question I have is how a new pan would affect oil consumption. I've read about how road racers and in lateral-G situations, their motors can get starved for oil, so they run an extra quart. I've also heard that people are switching to ls2 pans becuase it handles oiling better. This is not an option however.

I guess I'm also asking, how does sump location/shape affect oiling issues? Is an oil-pan-is-an-oil-pan-is-an-oil-pan? Will there be issues as long as the pickup and everything work together?

Thanks a lot for your help.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

bump.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

No one has had a custom oil pan/ knows about oil consumption?
Maybe I should have posted in the hybrid section; I guess I'll just PM a sponsor to see what they know.
Old 04-15-2007, 05:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Might try the conversion & hybrids sections. Few guys there with custom pans.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Alright, thanks. I didn't want to double-post or anything. I'll start a thread in the conversion/hybrid section; I guess this one can be locked.

Search this Thread