Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for Guys with Single Chambers or Two Chambers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question for Guys with Single Chambers or Two Chambers

Hey guys, I have a couple of two chambers sitting here and I am going to have a custom exhaust fabbed up.

I still can't decide to whether to go with a Dr. Gas X-pipe or just have the pipes connected somewhere for an H-pipe. I've heard soundclips but never heard either set-up in person.

What do you guys suggest?

Has anyone heard both set-ups?
Old 04-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Louie83
Hey guys, I have a couple of two chambers sitting here and I am going to have a custom exhaust fabbed up.

I still can't decide to whether to go with a Dr. Gas X-pipe or just have the pipes connected somewhere for an H-pipe. I've heard soundclips but never heard either set-up in person.

What do you guys suggest?

Has anyone heard both set-ups?
flowmaster makes a kit called the D-port H-pipe. jmm98LS1 swears it's what helps give him his sound, and IMO, he has the best sounding car on LS1tech. if i were buying a kit, i'd get the flowmaster D-port kit. summit sells it.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard both in person. Obviously exhaust sounds are difficult to translate into words, but here goes. Like Choco said, I've got the flowmaster d-port merge on mine. I've also built a similar exhaust for a guy but with a summit x-pipe instead, and there is a noticeable difference in pitch between the two. Mine is more of a deep thump at idle, while the X is more of a harsh growl. As for suggestions, opinions on sound are purely subjective.....I may not like what you like and vice versa, but if you want the deep old school muscle car sound like I'm fond of, go with an H of some sort. For a more "raw late-model" sound, an X will give what you're after.

I'm curious as to where you plan on mounting those 40 series mufflers. Care to share?
Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 AM
Teching In

Hey I just searched summit and couldn't find what you were talking about - maybe I'm just blind. What is the part number for the flow kit?
Old 04-17-2007, 11:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm much more concerned about which set-up has the least rasp. It isn't much concern to me personally, if one is more high pitched and one is more low pitched. So I guess I'm more concerned with tone than pitch.

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I'm curious as to where you plan on mounting those 40 series mufflers. Care to share?

I'm planning on going over the axle and out the back. Since the height of the case is the same as single chambers, I'm not worried about ground clearance. If floor boards need to be "modified" than they will be. To be honest, I don't know exactly where yet. I will probably bring some pictures to the exhaust shop that have several different locations. We can determine from there where they will fit best.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:45 AM
Tech Resident

I'm much more concerned about which set-up has the least rasp. It isn't much concern to me personally, if one is more high pitched and one is more low pitched. So I guess I'm more concerned with tone than pitch.
i would think an H-pipe would have less rasp. first off, it's deeper and not as racey. second, it's more of a direct run whereas the X-pipe gets the gases all jumbled up inside. look at mustangs and corvettes: they come with an H-pipe and they're not raspy. at least this is my school of thought, correct me if i'm wrong. this is my opinion, mind you. i can't prove any of this. with TD's and 2-chambers, neither setup will probably be raspy to begin with so it may be a wash. again, jmm98LS1 has no cats and the d-port H-pipe and he has no rasp at all.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

just go with the xpipe and dont look back youll be happy
Old 04-17-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have an h-pipe and it has no rasp, it just sounds like a flowmasters supposed to sound, like a muscle car. i have never heard one with an x-pipe so i can't vouch but if you get an H-pipe you will be happy.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
flowmaster makes a kit called the D-port H-pipe. jmm98LS1 swears it's what helps give him his sound, and IMO, he has the best sounding car on LS1tech. if i were buying a kit, i'd get the flowmaster D-port kit. summit sells it.
I have this same exact kit. The part number is 15933 (for the 3"). It does have an awesome sound! I started with a reg. X-pipe & then switched to the Flowmaster D-port, and it sounds alot better! You can't go wrong either way though.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

I found a Mustang page with a ton of exhaust clips. A lot of Mustangs run 40 series, so I listened to numerous clips of them with x-pipes and h-pipes, and I liked the x-pipe better honestly.

Also I found this article that I thought was interesting: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html

Open Headers - 333 hp 304 tq
2.5" h-pipe - 323 hp 296 tq
2.5" into 3" x-pipe - 335 hp 302 tq
Old 04-17-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry for the double post (not really) but I have another question (surprise).

I have a good shop but they can't do mandrel bends. They can however do the whole cut, spliced, and welded tubes. Will those flow as well as mandrel bent 2.5" tubes?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:35 PM
Tech Resident

I found a Mustang page with a ton of exhaust clips. A lot of Mustangs run 40 series, so I listened to numerous clips of them with x-pipes and h-pipes, and I liked the x-pipe better honestly.

Also I found this article that I thought was interesting: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html

Open Headers - 333 hp 304 tq
2.5" h-pipe - 323 hp 296 tq
2.5" into 3" x-pipe - 335 hp 302 tq
that's funny. i've seen a dyno comparison of mustangs. what you are seeing are peak numbers. the dyno comparison i saw had the mustang making more power than the H-pipe all the way to 5500 rpms. then, at 5500 rpms, the X-pipe had a little more top end and ended a few horsepower higher at redline. basically, the H-pipe dominated the power curve while the X-pipe gave better peak numbers. don't be suckered by peak numbers. you'll get a better bottom end feel with an H-pipe than you will an X-pipe.

you have to rev sky high in most cases to see the benefit of an X-pipe. generally, the rpm range you spend 90+% of the time in, the H-pipe will dominate. i'll try and pull the thread for you.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:51 PM
Tech Resident

i'm a man of my word. here it goes:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....40&postcount=5

most people praise the X-pipe on an LS1. i don't. yes, you will see gains throughout the power curve on an X-pipe compared to most Y-pipe setups or the stock catback, but it pushes the peak horsepower and torque up in the powerband. this makes your car feel like it has lost low end, and with a 2.73 geared auto, i don't need to feel like i lost anymore low end. pair that with the idea that i think an H-pipe sounds a lot better and provides better gains in the realistically usable rpm range, i see no reason to use an x-pipe unless you're building a drag car where your foot is always to the floor. i'm going to probably get flamed for dissing the ever-so-popular X-pipe, but look around: a lot of people are going H-pipe nowadays. 6 months to a year ago, TD's on tech were nearly ALL X-pipes. now, we're seeing a huge group of people making TD's with H-pipes. why? because they sound a lot better and make your car feel a lot faster taking off...and i'm willing to bet it will provide better torque numbers down low.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

I've heard both in person. Obviously exhaust sounds are difficult to translate into words, but here goes. Like Choco said, I've got the flowmaster d-port merge on mine. I've also built a similar exhaust for a guy but with a summit x-pipe instead, and there is a noticeable difference in pitch between the two. Mine is more of a deep thump at idle, while the X is more of a harsh growl. As for suggestions, opinions on sound are purely subjective.....I may not like what you like and vice versa, but if you want the deep old school muscle car sound like I'm fond of, go with an H of some sort. For a more "raw late-model" sound, an X will give what you're after.

WERD to everything this guy just said.....I went with an H-pipe and it sounds beautiful to me....I have buddies with the same exhaust setup except they are using x-pipes and mines way deeper...I get this deeper pulsing sound, like an old school muscle car....Im never looking back for another exhaust.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Launching!

you want to build me an exhaust?
Old 04-19-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And here we go again. H sounds better than X. X flows better than H. You will never get a definitive answer to the which sounds better question or which makes more power. It's been posted a millions times before with the same results....none. Just a bunch of back and forth crap. And good luck on getting full size mufflers mounted before the axle without major banging of the floor board for clearance. Search for some links by Blaster and see how he fit his last year.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zach11
you want to build me an exhaust?
PM sent
Old 04-20-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did an H-pipe and absolutely love it!!! jmm98ls1 helped me out a lot with my setup and I'm glad I found his exhaust clips before I did mine. It's very deep and muscle car sounding. Everyone who hears it drools and can't believe that that sound is coming from a late model engine.