Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone cruising around with no AC Belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone cruising around with no AC Belt

I cut my belt off about a week ago and I must say that at idle my car is a hell of alot quiter. I don't have as many annoying belt noises as I used to have so that is nice. Also since doing this whenever I turn on my vents to defrost my front window my RPM's raise to like 1500. I can also hear the clutch engage on the AC compressor. My question is why in the hell is my AC compressor turning on when I turn the defroster on. I think I am about to unplug the SOB.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

isn't the AC all connected by a serpentine belt??

and the AC always turns on when you defrost...or at least all my cars have...
Old 04-17-2007, 09:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by teke184
isn't the AC all connected by a serpentine belt??

and the AC always turns on when you defrost...or at least all my cars have...

Not on F bodys. One small seperate one connects the crank to the compressor. I dont have mine on either but just cause my AC isnt working right now.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

its kinda hard to explain, but the ac works as an air dryer. even tho you have your **** on HOT defrost, the compressor is still gonna kick on to dry the air (which is why you have condensation the lines). if you have no ac and turn the heated defrost on, you'll be blowing hot, humid air on the windshield and it wont defrost as quick, where as if your ac compressor kicks on, its made to keep moisture out of the air and unfogs you windows quicker. i know that sounds a little confusing but thats the answer in a nutshell.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:46 AM
TECH Regular

Ahh thanks for the clarification on this one. It does seem to take a little longer to defrost my windows but no real big deal. I will take that over the noisey *** belts.
Old 04-17-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just take that baby off
Old 04-17-2007, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

As stated, A/C systems also act as a de-humidifier in a sense. However, the reason your RPMs go up is because of the tune. In the PCM, there are some tables that reference the A/C. In order for idle to maintain a constant RPM when the compressor is engaged, extra air is allowed in through the IAC valve (in the throttle body). The compressor adds a bit of drag to the motor, which makes the engine have to work a little harder to maintain the same desired idle RPM. That extra work requires a little more air.