Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Short Belt Question? How to bypass power steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Short Belt Question? How to bypass power steering

Ive read almost all the post that came up under search, but I am still wondering if anyone has a belt routing diagram or picture, of how they bypassed the Power Steering. I want to try this next time at the track, but am unable to find any routing pictures. Looks like belt length is either 51" or 52" Any sugestions on how the belt gets routed?

Thanks
Old 09-21-2007, 07:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ttt........
Old 09-21-2007, 05:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i dont have a diagram but my son bought one for his car and i tried it on my car at the race track.i had no gain at all,mph was the same and et.with the belt off the power steering pully,i could not believe how easy it spins , i dont believe there is any gain too be had from it.
Old 09-21-2007, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

I don't know the belt size but I the know the SAM school tried it on there 1999 SS Camaro and used a Gates belt pn k-060512. The artical on it says you have to forgo the drivers side idler pully and the lower alternator bolt. They claim a 3 tenths gain in the 1/4 mile. I bought the belt from Napa auto parts for 15 bucks. So far i haven't got it on. I have a thread going on this subject in the 12 second club section. I'm looking for the same answer as you. I'm trying to run 11's before the end of the season. There are only a few weeks left.
Old 09-22-2007, 08:44 AM
12 Second Club

nhraformulaoo, what did you mean by I couldn't believe how easy is spins. What spins? Tires?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:10 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i wouldnt mind it just for the ease of keeping the car straight but its a pia to swap out belts if its not going to net any gain worth talking about.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:45 PM
12 Second Club

ilirw325, I have your answer. First let me say that I can see people have different ideas on this subject. I have heard there is some gains to be had and on the other hand people have said there are no gains and that the belt is hard to put on. I listed before a gates belt with the part number that I got from a artical on a 1999 Camaro and that I bought the belt and couldn't get it on. Well the belt was to short so I went to Napa auto parts and got a Micro-v PN 060523. The price was around 15 bucks. I put the belt on in less then 10 minutes. Thats right less then 10 minutes. Now that I know how to put it on it will take about 5 minutes. Here is how you do it. First take your belt off then remove the drivers side idler pully,then remove the lower alternator bolt. Now run the belt over the tentioner roller,then under the water pump pully straight to the alternator, go around the alternator over the the crank pully and back up to the tentioner rollar. Its very easy. I'm going to route 66 on Tuesday and try it out. If there is no gain I will let you know. I hope I answered your question. If you need to talk to me let me know and I will walk you through it.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

HEAT TREAT PETE-how easy the power steering pully spins with no belt on it.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:00 AM
12 Second Club

Nhra, I know were your going with this question. And the answer is the power steering pully spins very easy. There may be no gain at all. If thats the case then I waisted 15 bucks and 10 minutes. I was only going by a artical I read that stated a gain in performance. ilirw325 wanted some answers and i tried to give them to him. Thats what this is all about. I'm not saying this is going to work.,but I've read more then one thread that says it does work. I quess what i'm trying to say is I don't know whos right or wrong, so I'll go to the track and try it. If there is no gain I will be the first to let everyone know. At least there will be no dought in my mind because I tried it. Thanks for your input. I will be posting an answer on Tuesday night. ( if it doesn't rain )
Old 09-26-2007, 08:41 AM
12 Second Club

Route 66 was rained out On tuesday night so I was unable to try out the shorter belt. The good news was I met Matt who is a fellow member with one bad *** Camaro!

Quick Reply: Short Belt Question? How to bypass power steering