Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnaflow catback owners/reviews ONLY!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 06:05 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Magnaflow catback owners/reviews ONLY!

Im going to be putting together several input ideas from reviews of catback owners for later use.

right now i need Magnaflowcatback owners only to post in here and give me there opinion's on their catbacks...

i will have other post for other exhaust systems later, so please fellas once again only post your reviews if your an owner and not debates, im gathering this for later....ill give it a few days then im going to ask a mod to lock it

thanks
Old 04-21-2007, 06:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car came with it on it. For the price, it's hard to argue with stainless, but it's too quiet and I don't like the single round pipes. The new ones with the quad tips look nice, but are quite a bit more money. I'm just a Borla freak.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

I am partial to MagnaFlow as I have their system on both my Camaro and my Silverado. The sound is refined and quite pleasing during normal, everyday driving. When needed the sound can be very powerful and get you noticed. The only draw backs I can see are (1) the system is made of 409 Stainless so surface rust will develop and (2) the Camaro 3.5" tips are not very pleasing.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:39 AM
On The Tree

Had a stock 98Z and the catback and a ported TB were my first mods to it. In general, the common magnaflow perceptions held true for me. Felt like a little noticable difference powerwise and definately a deeper tone from stock. No rasp and seems to flow great throughout all idling, accelearting and high/low end.

My system was the quad tips. I wanted something not knock your socks off loud, as I know I will eventually add headers, ORY ect. and it will become louder overtime. I'd say knowing my future mods, this was perfect. However, if you were looking for a truly mean sounding vehicle and wanted to do just the cat-back alone....its a nice deep tone, but its not a rumbling deep.

The clearance of course is just like everyone elses I assume, no complaints there at all. I think it hangs maybe 2-3 inches lower than stock I believe. haven't measured, but its not too noticable and have never had problems. You can get under that and notice the size of the muffler is a bit more rounded on the bottom which appears to hang like I said 2-3 inches.

The intercooled tips look bar none the best double walled tips I've seen. Even on a camaro. Appearance wise, I think they even make borla's look chinsy and thin in person. Some say they are too big however for the camaro. I tucked mine a bit more than normal and had a body kit to help conceal it a bit from looking at the vehicle on the side, so I like them. Though I first I would say they were borderline big, they grew on my quickly and I love them.

Not sure what else you're looking for. I had someone install it, it really seems to be holding up fine for me. The hangers look solid that came with it and the clamps are plenty sufficient for those who aren't welding it all up.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:54 AM
12 Second Club

I don't mind the cannon tips myself, coming from a tipless TSP Rumbler catback.

The catback is very mild inside the cabin, and either the catback has gotten louder, or I've just gotten used to it and my perception has changed. When I intiallly put it on, it seemed extremely quiet compared to the TSP Rumbler (Which I know it is), now at WOT it seems very loud.

Just two days ago I was leaving work a little late, I stopped at a stop sign, then rolled out a little bit before going WOT and punishing the tires.

The next day one of the women at work asked what I had done to it, she said it sounded great and that she wanted my car. I have gotten complements on it from quite a few people.

The Magnaflow is more enjoyable than the TSP Rumbler at 22-2500rpm for sure, WOT the TSP Rumbler has a louder scream, but unless you have to be the absolute loudest in your 1 mile area at any given time, I prefer the Magnaflow over the TSP Tumbler catback.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It fits nice. I hate the tips on a Camaro, they look pretty good on a T/A though. The sound is OK, not great. A little raspy with an ORY but I'm sure it would sound better with cats. It's well built as well. My bolt-on car was dyno'd with the exhaust connected and disconected at the Y pipe and the Magnaflow only cost me about 2rwhp. I'm going with a mufflex 3.5" system with a Magnaflow muffler but until I get it installed I'll keep the regular Magnaflow cat back on.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:27 AM
On The Tree

The quality of the Magnaflow catback is definitely top notch compared to other catbacks in that price range. As others have said, it is very quiet with stock manifolds and y. I have longtubes and a ORY now and I still think it's a bit too quiet and gets raspy at certain rpms. If you want a quiet catback that's stainless and under $500, you can't go wrong.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:34 AM
12 Second Club

I got mine because my LM system was way too loud at WOT. I personaly didn't install mine but my buddy who did said it was very easy because it used all factory hangers and came with new hardware. I dont mind the tips. They hang nice and even. Had it for over 2 years and no rust on it. With H/C it had a nice mean idle and and easy to drive around town but a WOT it deffinently gets loud. The design allows for for quiet flow at low RPM and for almost straight through flow at WOT. I never had a cutout but a guy I know with a 427 and a Magnaflow with cutout dynoed his and only lost ~5rwhp with the cutout closed. I am going to keep mine with my new 408 but am going to do the cutout I will let you know how it turns out. I thinks thats all, good luck with you endevors to find the "perfect" LS1 exhaust system.
Old 04-21-2007, 01:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanks for the info fellas
Old 04-21-2007, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

magnaflow:

-truck tips??
-nice construction
-muffler looks really nice
-has a lot of rasp with offroad ypipe/headers
-very deep sounding
Old 04-22-2007, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I love my magnaflow. I love it with my longtubes and ory. Very good catback,its stainless,its not to expensive,great install,personally i like the tips,has great flow,its quiet at idle and nice and loud at wot.I'm happy with it
Old 04-22-2007, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

I liked mine when I bolted it on stock. Sounded good, no rasp, no drone, still pretty quiet really. Once I put the new motor in with heads/cam/11.1CR/LTs/ORY, it was way too loud and very raspy for me. I swapped it out for a Hooker a few days ago and finally just started the car a couple nights ago and was finally able to drive yesterday and today, and I love the Hooker so much more. Car is noticeably quieter, rasp is really all but gone, and the tone at idle sounds deeper, IMO.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

okay so i love my magnaflow sounds great for cheap it sounds real good on a car still running manifolds when you put it in combo with headers and a ory its raspy with an auto under 3500rpm other than it sounds great. i do believe they sound better on m6 cars than autos oh well sounds damn good on mine looks great i like the big 3.5in slash cut tips makes the back of the car stand out. hey jacob ask mark what he thinks of his magnaflow system

Last edited by 2000badbird; 04-22-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:26 PM
Launching!

mine came with the car, i love the tips. It has a nice low tone to it but if u want it loud it aint nothing a cutout cant fix.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

Love the magnaflow catback! I had one installed a few months ago after many, many months of trying to make a decision. I went with the magnaflow after hearing some other cars with them. I didn't (and still don't) want something super loud, because sometimes I use it pretty often, didn't want the exhaust to be unbearable. It has a very nice tone without being obnoxious. I've gotten used to it at this point but I get compliments all the time, a few of my friends who were driving behind me a couple of times said it sounds great. It's definitely a nice upgrade from the stock system. It hasn't gotten me in trouble at all either which was also a concern of mine. I like that it's stainless and I also like the 3.5 inch tips. Great bang for buck! I was planning on doing LT's but emissions is kind of preventing that from happening, so right now I'm just relying on the catback. Like it a lot, would definitely buy another one again.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

The Magnaflow is a great exhaust for the money. Its not to loud but it does have a mild rasp around 2-2.5k with headers/ORY, nothing to bad. I have noticed it has gotten a little louder since I installed it. I think it sounds great at WOT but sometimes its not fullfilling enough and thats why I have an electric cutout.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

It's a good system, and a good way to go if you want to keep the noise level reasonable. I just put one on my car today. It fits and is made well. I replaced a flowmaster with this, and I have to say the car is extremely quiet now by comparison. I still have factory manifolds/Y but will be replacing them soon with a set of pacesetters and tsp cat y which will definatly make it louder. I heard the magnaflow was among the quietest, which is why I went to it.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

With stock manifolds mine sounded close to stock. With LTs and ORY it has a nice low deep rumble at idle and when cruising around, but can be loud if you want it to. Its perfect for me; I can start it up early in the morning and neighbors don't wake up, I can drive by cops all day and not get harrassed, but I can **** people off with half throttle or more. I was just at Speed Inc's open house yesterday and I probably had one of the more quieter cars there!
On top of that its cheap, stainless steel, great flow (from what I've read), only a little hint of rasp. The tips are ok, could be better, could be worse.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

i love my magnaflow..i dont have any rasp and its axually quiet with LTs and an ORY..i love it..looks really nice and flows great..when i dynoed my car it picked up 7hp with a cutout over my catback.

lol pick an exhaust already lol what this is 2 threads about it lol.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Dom
TECH Fanatic

Did anyone go from a Flowmaster to a Magnaflow? My car came with a Flowmaster catback and it's way to quiet. I also keep reading how bad it flows. So I want more hp and a better sound. How much estimated hp a muffler swap will give me? Pipes are already 3". I'm currently on stock manifolds, but will get LTs /ORP soon. I will also get a cut-out for the track.

Quick Reply: Magnaflow catback owners/reviews ONLY!