Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pulsing vibration???? WTF

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default pulsing vibration???? WTF

when im going down the highway at about 50mph i hear/feel a slight pulsing vibration. When Torque Converter locks up at say 53-54mph and RPM's drop i dont hear/feel it anymore. What you think this is guys?! TIA
Old 04-21-2007, 11:48 AM
On The Tree

Dude I got the same thing going on and was wondering WTF is was too. Somebody please tell us!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

Anybody have ANY ideas...please help!
Old 04-22-2007, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
when im going down the highway at about 50mph i hear/feel a slight pulsing vibration. When Torque Converter locks up at say 53-54mph and RPM's drop i dont hear/feel it anymore. What you think this is guys?! TIA
Must be the weather because my car is acting up too, I'm getting RPM surges??
Old 04-22-2007, 05:17 PM
On The Tree

yea i have it too. it happened after i installed lt's and y pipe.. mine only happens under 2k and i is bad around 1500 rpms..souns like a subwoofer that thumps in the cabin right?
If you rev up in neutral does it still do it?

Maybe engine/tranny mounts worn? driveshaft?
Old 04-22-2007, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

broken mount, or exhaust fitment problems. could be rubbing on the floorboard and stop when a load changes on the engine for example when the converter locks.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah im thinkin the cats are slightly hitting floorboard. which mount, trans?
Old 04-22-2007, 06:51 PM
TECH Regular

Is it anything like this vid? This was my old 97 z... http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...00636130&hl=en
Old 04-22-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

no but the pulsing vibration is what i have...nowhere near that bad. Actually nobody else probably would know it unless they were driving. what was the problem just out of curiousity
Old 04-22-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

Never found out. Had the trans rebuilt, new stall put in, new driveshaft, nothing fixed it.

Tho, one of the the stock stall converter bolts had broken off (apparently before i bought the car). There was a hole in the shield where it had shot itself out. Im guessing this aided in the destruction of something else, causing the vibration.
Old 04-22-2007, 08:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I noticed this kind of thing immediately after my converter
swap and I think it's some kind of internal imbalance in the
free-spinning parts (since lockup makes it quit).
Old 04-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i had something like this going on. locked up, at around 50 mph, it sounded like my console was rattling apart. it was like i had marbles inside the console. it was a really scary sound. i thought my converter was on its way out.

i took it to an exhaust shop and had my exhaust slightly adjusted. it turns out, my exhaust was rattling and tapping the floorboards or something. there was a nice little mark on the I-pipe where it had been constantly hitting. it has to do with these cars - at 50 miles per hour, the frequency emitted either from the exhaust or road vibrations at that exact RPM sends a ripple throughout the car that causes everything to rattle. this is how earthquakes knock down buildings - when the frequency of the earthquake matches the building's natural frequency, it shakes violently and falls apart. when the vibrations in the car at a certain RPM reach your car's natural frequency, things start rattling. the extra clearance from the adjustment stopped the rattling.

get your exhaust adjusted. that may fix it. FWIW, my car did this the WORST when WET. it was horrible in the rain. it hasn't happened since the exhaust adjustment.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:06 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by jlashley2001ss
yeah im thinkin the cats are slightly hitting floorboard. which mount, trans?
ya trans mount. A broken trans mount or one with bumps in it (energy suspension for example) will cause vibrations, too. I'm not sure what exactly your pulsing vibration feels like but its worth checking into since it takes a matter of 10 minutes to take out the trans-mount and inspect it. After installing a polyurathane trans mount in my car, it had a terrible vibration on the freeway only at certain speeds and rpm. And its because it has bumps on the top of the mount that rub the transmission. These have to be ground down to eliminate the vibration. Such subtle things like that can make a vibration come alive at certian rpms i have found out lol. Also I've had to jack the trans in my car like 3 or 4 times putting in my new mount and I know its possible that angles of the drivetrain could be off slightly from ******* with it so much and still be causing the very faint vibration i have. Its also from the exhaust. My exhust is fully welded from the LTs to the exhaust tips (yes, I know) and it vibrates like the mother ****** sometimes. These are the common culprits from my experience, and it may be the same for you too! Hope this helps.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

thanks guys! I think i will start with getting my exhaust guy to fix some issues with the clearance.
Old 04-23-2007, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Well the thing is...I have the same small pulsating vibration and my car is completely stock. A lot of what you guys are talking about it when you have a different exhaust on the car. And it's not a rattling sound. It almost feels like unbalanced tires but it's not that cuz it goes away when I go into overdrive and when I start slowing down it comes back when I go under the 50 mph mark. I also noticed it when I I'm in park or in neutral and sitting still if I rev it up to say around 2k or more it has the vibration when it comes back down at one point but I'm not sure on the exact rpm level. Do these cars just do that when stock or should I have that checked out?
Old 04-23-2007, 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

I don't think its normal at all for a completely factory car to have intermittent vibrations that are really noticeable and irritating. A part is obviously either worn or needs adjusting in your drivetrain or exhaust system. There is nothing else that is moving that would cause vibrations. Well the exhaust isn't turning but it has high speed gases flowing through it and is connected to the parts that move while being nestled closely to the frame.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I'm planning on taking it to my shop to have them see what they can find as soon as possible cuz it just doesn't feel right. I had a 96 TA and it never did anything like this especially when it was stock.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:41 PM
12 Second Club

cool, update this thread when you can, just for reference if you find out what's going on with it.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:59 AM

yea i have a vibration problem on my 2000 ws6 six speed at 70 mph a vibration starts and sounds like it is a warping noise and i thought it may be a driveshaft balance issue. i have an energy suspension tranny mount and a offroad y pipe. has anyone with a six speed had this issue at 70 mph +?????
Old 04-26-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My car does the same, cant figure out wtf is going on it get annoying after a while though

Quick Reply: pulsing vibration???? WTF