Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Starter need Shims/Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default LS1 Starter need Shims/Adjustment?

I think I posted this in the wrong place first post, so trying here.

I have power and wire to starter, and decided to crank the engine over to pump oil into it, and see if the oil guages works. Plug wires disconnected.

This is an LS1 for a 2004 Corvette; hooked to a 4L60e. I put a new starter from a Camaro on it. It did not come with anything like shims. Am I supposed to do any type of shimming or alignment, as opposed to the old way starters hook up on 350s (i.e. just bolt 'em up)?

When I turn it over, it feels and sounds hard. Like the starter may be engaging too hard or something. No "clunks" or anything like that. But I don't like how it sounds.

Haven't turned it over too long. Didn't see any oil pressure yet.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Does no-one have a clue if shims are reequired? Too busy to answer?

I guess I'll see what the local auto parts store thinks...
Old 04-24-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No, you shouldn't have to shim an LS1 starter. It's supposed to just mount flush; even an aftermarket one.

Maybe the starter is different between a Corvette LS1 and a Camaro one?
Old 04-24-2007, 03:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am told the Corvette starter is different.But that's based on hooking the Corvetted LS1 to a Corvette Transmission setup. I'm hooked to a 4L60e, so it should be the same, I understand.

Maybe it is just a different sound from what I'm used to on my old 350 with the blower.

I think I'll crawl under it, and get someone to turn int over, and see if I can see anything. Then maybe pull the plugs and turn it over and see if that is different.

Hmmmm...I wonder if the parts store could have given me the wrong starter. it does bolt up fine though.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah, I see.

Well, maybe someone can chime in with what exactly makes the Corvette starter different.....because I have no idea.

Last edited by Da Swami; 04-24-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The starters should be the same. I don't see any reason why they would not be. They're the same block. You said you have an LS1 in a corvette with a starter from a camaro (LS1)? So, you have an LS1 starter for an LS1. Maybe I'm losing something in translation here.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
... You said you have an LS1 in a corvette with a starter from a camaro (LS1)? So, you have an LS1 starter for an LS1...
Well, that's not quite what I said. I said it is a Corvette engine, with a 4L60e hooked to it (like would be in a Camaro). I have a Camaro flywheel. It's sitting in a 1956 Chevrolet Convertible.

So, the only thing 'Corvette' about it is that it is a 2004 Corvette engine, but all components are Camaro.

I understand that everyone is saying that the starter should just bolt up, no shims. If it's true that a Corvette starter would be different, it doesn't make any difference in my case, because I have it hooked to a 4L60e, not a Corvette bellhousing and transmission setup.

So, I guess I just need to do as I mentioned in my last post and just try to see if it is hitting the flex plate right, etc. Maybe the 'noise' I hear isn't out of the ordinary.

[EDIT]
This post is a little funny. Sounds like "Who's on first?"
Old 04-24-2007, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, so I just got back from work and I checked both cars: the starters are different part numbers.

Fbodies used one number and the Corvettes used another.

But, since you swapped flexplates it shouldn't make a difference! Hmm.....
Old 04-25-2007, 09:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Da Swami

Thanks for your efforts! I agree with you.

And, last night, I pulled the plugs on the engine, and I got under it and had my wife turn the engine over. It all looks fine, and sounds fine too. I think that my comment earlier was the case: with the engine being new; fluids not pumped through it yet; compression in place while the plugs weren't pulled; open at the bottom of the headers...all combined to make it sound the way it did that concerned me. But with the plugs out, and me being close to the starter while turning it over, I can tell that it is fine.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and input.

I'm hoping to actually fire the engine up some time this coming weekend.
Old 04-25-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds good, make sure to post some pics in the conversion/hybrid section!
Old 04-25-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You bet. I have posted a small number. Here's one from a couple weeks ago:

Name:  2007_0218_191728.jpg
Views: 4361
Size:  79.8 KB

Quick Reply: LS1 Starter need Shims/Adjustment?