Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yes,my pacesetter ORY bangs the floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 11:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default yes,my pacesetter ORY bangs the floorboard

and it drives me nuts,I have some prothane motor mounts but I didnt install them when I did my lts because the driver header barely cleared anyway,should I install those sometime?? what else can I do?
Old 04-24-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i worked mine a little bit and its alot better, im going to take it to a muffler shop and im sure it will go away. try to bend the y pipe down a little . look to see if you can find out were it bangs.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBenz
i worked mine a little bit and its alot better, im going to take it to a muffler shop and im sure it will go away. try to bend the y pipe down a little . look to see if you can find out were it bangs.
Im not 100% sure but I think its hitting on the driver side right after the header collector,il try and check it out tomorrow
Old 04-24-2007, 06:35 AM
Launching!

I've read of people sticking a piece of wood up in there so its tight and can't bang anymore. Although I imagine that wood will get pretty hot.

My Y pipe had initially banged and vibrated so I went under there and adjusted the Y back and fourth and up and down, and now its fine.
Old 04-24-2007, 06:41 AM
On The Tree

I had the same problem and my poly mounts got rid of the banging. The temporary solution I did was took a piece of heater hose and ran a hose clamp through it and clamped it on the y pipe so it was wedged between the floorboard and the y pipe. I didn't get rid of the banging completely but helped cut it down a lot.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

get a buddy, loosen up all the y pipe clamps, stick a prybar between the floorboard and pipe and try to create as much separation as possible. while you are doing this, tighten all the clamps back up.

if that doesn't work, get a rubber exhaust mount and wedge it in between the floorboard and the y pipe - $3 fix
Old 04-24-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 0utlawTorn
I had the same problem and my poly mounts got rid of the banging. The temporary solution I did was took a piece of heater hose and ran a hose clamp through it and clamped it on the y pipe so it was wedged between the floorboard and the y pipe. I didn't get rid of the banging completely but helped cut it down a lot.
the poly mounts raise up the engine a bit right??? my driver header barely cleared the floorboard anyway,im worried that if I put in the prothane mounts I bought that the header wouldnt have enough room to get the ypipe on,il get a pic to show you what im talking about
Old 04-24-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dude just got my Y fixed today! Its the drivers side thats banging, on you ORY you can see two spots where the factory flattend the pipe. Well thats where it hits I took mine to a muffler shop an he put the car on a lift an got a pry bar an simply pried it down till it wont bang anymore! No more banging trust me I know how annoyin it is you will feel alot better about WOT after that pipe stops vibrating an banging!
Old 04-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Do the loosen clamps pry down and tighten thing; and if you decide to stick a piece of rubber between the y-pipe and the floor, consider using a chunk of silicone because it won't melt but rubber will.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I adjusted my duals as much as I could to get optimal clearance, and it was still banging hard in one spot. I took the duals off and beat the ever living **** out of the floorboard. No more banging, and I get to hold off doing motor mounts. Good luck with the fix.

-J
Old 04-24-2007, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

Mine hit the floor whenever I was hard on the gas or making a turn halfway on the gas. Either I got used to the sound, or the banging has went away on its own for me.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Someone should sticky the solution to this, as it is asked every couple days. Poly mounts fix the problem. They don't raise up your engine that I can tell. You can bang and bend and weld and melt and add extra hangers and glue rubber and hose everywhere if you want to do that instead.

Brian
Old 04-24-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This might be like someone asking if a 20mm cannon mounted to a treestand would kill a deer, but do you think my bumpstop and poly mounts will keep me from having any banging issues? I havent gotten my Pacesetter Y in the mail yet but the bumpstop is on my TSP Y and the Poly mounts are in (glad that job is over).

Last edited by KurtRardin; 04-24-2007 at 05:51 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Buddy had this same issue.............bent the floor board a bit!.....Issue solved!!
Old 04-24-2007, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by iamsickofitall
get a buddy, loosen up all the y pipe clamps, stick a prybar between the floorboard and pipe and try to create as much separation as possible. while you are doing this, tighten all the clamps back up.

if that doesn't work, get a rubber exhaust mount and wedge it in between the floorboard and the y pipe - $3 fix

Where do you get these?
Old 04-25-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a small rubber exhaust hanger and a stainless clamp. Trim the rubber part of the hanger down so that you can screw it into the bottom of the car right near where the Y hits. (should be a boxed area coming off the bottom of the car) Bend the metal part of the hanger to sit nicely on the Y. Use the clamp to clamp the hanger to the Y tightly. The rubber hanger is strong enough to not let the Y move at all. Took me about 10 minutes and spent approx. $8.00.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:18 PM
TECH Regular

I had my ORY cut in a few places then re welded when I had it installed, to give better clearance I have never heard it bang yet thank god.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

I have the same y-pipe and it clears everthing perfectly but I had to adjust it a few times cutt the pipe here and there. now its great
Old 04-25-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by beeker82
the poly mounts raise up the engine a bit right??? my driver header barely cleared the floorboard anyway,im worried that if I put in the prothane mounts I bought that the header wouldnt have enough room to get the ypipe on,il get a pic to show you what im talking about
I'd also like to know if the poly raise the motor any. I'm in the same boat, my collector barely clears that initial cross bracing of the floor board. Almost like a constant banging/vibrating .
Old 04-25-2007, 12:57 PM
Launching!

My pacesetter Y-pipe did this when I installed the LT's and ORY. I drove around for a couple weeks with it banging just thinking about how I needed to get under there and fix it, never did. Stopped banging for some reason, haven't had an issue since. lol

Quick Reply: yes,my pacesetter ORY bangs the floorboard