Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats with slp??

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 10:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats with slp??

hey guys,

im looking into getting headers and everyone that i saw in the search is either selling them for cheap or complaining about them? i wouldnt mind buying a used setup and i think im going to keep my car factory height since i live out in the country... but anyway do you think its worth it to buy a used pair? or is it a no go all together... appreciate the info guys

birdman
Old 04-26-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

main complaint ive heard about them is they hand the lowest of all headers
Old 04-26-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

i've heard people complain of nearly 1" of clearance lost due to the collectors.

even in the country you may scrape.

granted they're stainless...but i'm not sure they're worth it.

i would just get some coated pacesetter or flowtechs.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

There great quality headers, Stainless steel and peform great, just like just about any LT header, The ONLY reason why ive heard of people not wanting them is due to them hanging low and having clearance issues, even with stock ride height ive heard of people havin problems

Pacsetters tuck up really nice, thats what I got and they fit better then the stock exhaust
Old 04-26-2007, 11:47 AM
On The Tree

i believe they were not as easy to install as some other competitors. and oh wait yeah the doubled price tag. oh and that 40 hp you will never get unless you have 1k plus in motor work.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:50 AM
Teching In

If you can spring for a set of nice Kooks or QTP's as SLP's have as stated above very little ground clearance! But there performance is good-
Old 04-26-2007, 11:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'll be selling mine here shortly due to clearance issues...they are great headers, but I plan on lowering mine some. SO they have to come off.
Old 04-26-2007, 12:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by faster_n_you98
i believe they were not as easy to install as some other competitors. and oh wait yeah the doubled price tag. oh and that 40 hp you will never get unless you have 1k plus in motor work.
The reason why there so much more is becuase there stainless steel, they are right around the same price as other stainless steel headers, Its the uncoated and coated ones that are ALOT cheaper. From what I read they revised the original design so there easier to install so that shouldnt be a problem either. And the 40 HP isnt entirely BS, considering most companys rate there products at the flywheel. Considering most LT headers WITH a tune can gain anywhere from 20-30 HP to the wheels depending on mods the 40 at the flywheel isnt completely out of line.

Another thing to remember theres pretty much 3 types of LT's
Uncoated-not worth it
Coated- good alternative to stainless steel, ALOT cheaper
Stainless steel- will probally outlast the car
^ALL the above perform the same, excpet the Uncoated lets more heat off into the engine bay
Old 04-26-2007, 02:42 PM
Staging Lane

thanks alot guys i didnt realize that they would drag even at stock height is there any way to tuck them in better or not? i mean they are coming straight from the engine itself so maybe not. any input would be great. well now hearing what you guys had to say my main concern is if they are worth buying used i have seen an almost complete setup with cats for 550 from a friend is this a good deal or should i wait and save money? KISSMYWHITESS if you are selling anytime soon pm me thanks again any more info or better alternatives would be great
Old 04-26-2007, 04:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dude, you can get pacesetters for $400 brand new and you're wanting some used slp's for $550.

look at it this way: you can get any other brand of headers, lower your car an inch, and have a damn good lookin ride with some extra power OR you can get slp's and have the same ground clearance at stock ride hight lookin like a 4x4

im honestly not tryin to be an ***, but listen to these people that has had them
Old 04-26-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by birdman88
thanks alot guys i didnt realize that they would drag even at stock height is there any way to tuck them in better or not? i mean they are coming straight from the engine itself so maybe not. any input would be great. well now hearing what you guys had to say my main concern is if they are worth buying used i have seen an almost complete setup with cats for 550 from a friend is this a good deal or should i wait and save money? KISSMYWHITESS if you are selling anytime soon pm me thanks again any more info or better alternatives would be great
I'll let you know when time comes...hopefully hear shortly. I would keep them on if I didn't plan on lowering it so much. When I do sell them they won't be all that expensive.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

I bought the slp longtubes with two slp cats and the slp y for 350. there are good deals out there you just have to look.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by birdman88
550 isnt bad if your getting the cats too, but its not a steal, Pacesetters with cats would be like 700 if I remember correctly
And no theres really no way to "tuck" them up better, its the collector that hangs low which is conected to the header obviously in a sold piece, I mean I still scrap with pacesetters at the driver side Y pipe (stock Y scraped too) but its not the actual header thats scraping its the Y pipe, but im also lowered 2+ inches

Another thing to consider is how much you drive the car? do you go over alot of bumps and whatnot? If its just a weekend car it probally wouldnt be that bad, but to deal with it everyday would be annoying for me
Old 04-27-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Clearance is the main issue.

I have a stock ride height formula. I've had mine on for about 3 months now.

I've only scraped 2 times, both times I was in a hurry and going over a giant speedbump. Also the passenger side hangs just a hair lower than the driver side, thats the side that hit for me.

Install was cake. Only thing I had to do was remove oil filter and steering linkage for driver side. Had to remove coil packs for passenger side. You do need to have the car pretty high. I followed the more common 2ft recommendation and it worked great for me.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

SLP has a verygood header and Y pipe fit...no knocking sounds coming from under car. Also no scraping over speed bumps if used with SLP's spring and shock package. Heres my car with SLP's headers, springs, and shocks installed. I really like the cars functional stance.

Last edited by gollum; 04-27-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

I've had the Hooker LTs with their off road Y into the Corsa for 4 years and 20K miles. It's never scraped. I don't do the Dukes of Hazard thing over bumps - but I drive the car (Fairly easy install too.)
Old 04-30-2007, 07:20 AM
Staging Lane

thanks alot guys very helpful and 99z28monster that is a heck of a deal well if im that lucky i think ill buy some but other than that im not too sure im digging the clearance issues thanks again
Old 04-30-2007, 02:10 PM
10 Second Club

I just put some on my ride, the passenger side was a pain in the ars, driver side wasn't that bad. The only thing i removed was the plugs so i didn't accidently break one off. CLearance, well i hardly ever drive mine, may 2,000 a year, and it is stock height, so i will probably not have any problems. But i like the fact that they are SS and they are coated. Nice headers though, its just all in what you want brother.