Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harrop 8-throttel intake finaly installed !

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 01:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harrop 8-throttel intake finaly installed !

Finaly it's done
My Harrop intake is installed but a lot of tuning work remains before I will have any dyno numbers.
This is the second try - I was ready to throw it in the waste last year because of all the troubles I had, some related to the Harrop but I had some issues with my engine as well.

My car is a 2000 FRC Corvette with a 427C5R engine and LG G5XX cam I had to do a lot of cutting and glassfiber work to make the Harrop fit as you can see in the pictures - look at the rear of the intake, not so stock any longer

I still got some issues,
- I need to build new air-boxes. The ones that came with the intake do not fit because of my raised valve covers and the MSD coils.
- The throttles 'locks' after cooling down, probably because of different material in the intake and the throttel blades (aluminum and steel) so I need to lock them in a open position manually or they will be completely stuck at the next startup.
- It's very difficult to get the bank 1 throttles and the bank 2 throttles adjusted to make the fueltrims get close to each other, now they differ 12% at idle and I can not get it better. This problem seems to disapear when driving at other rpm's but idle.
- Learning to to tune in a new way, I'm using Hp-tuners 1bar speed-density package to be able to set a VE multiplier based on throttel% and RPM. This is a must according to others (in Australia) that have tuned with the Harrop. Right now I have no idea how to do use it I will start by doing a standard SD tune an go from there.

Old 04-26-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad freaking ***!!!

why dont you relocate your coils.. its easy
Old 04-26-2007, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

nice! keep us updated!
Old 04-26-2007, 03:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've always been wanting to know, wtf is FRC for a corvette?

that looks sweet as hell though
Old 04-26-2007, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Fixed Roof Corvette
Old 04-26-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
Fixed Roof Corvette
alrighty, that had been bugging the **** out of me for awhile
Old 04-26-2007, 03:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Demon Of Dreams
i've always been wanting to know, wtf is FRC for a corvette?

that looks sweet as hell though
FRC = Fixed Roof Coupe. Basically the Z06 body without all the Z06 upgrades. I think they only made it in 99 and 2000
Old 04-26-2007, 05:33 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by vette.se
Finaly it's done ....
- The throttles 'locks' after cooling down, probably because of different material in the intake and the throttel blades (aluminum and steel) so I need to lock them in a open position manually or they will be completely stuck at the next startup.
- It's very difficult to get the bank 1 throttles and the bank 2 throttles adjusted to make the fueltrims get close to each other, now they differ 12% at idle and I can not get it better. This problem seems to disapear when driving at other rpm's but idle.
We now have developed a modification that will significantly reduce (probably eliminate) the sticky-throttle-when-cooled issue. We will do this free-of-charge.

Please email me via ken@harrop.com.au for details.
Old 09-23-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Hello vette.se,

How the tuning's going?

Ready to read any update on your progress...

Christian
Old 09-23-2007, 10:32 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From the dead! That is awesome though! Why relocate MSD's? He paid good money to show them off!
Old 09-23-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is bad ***. This is a mild resurrection in terms of threads.

-J
Old 09-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Hello vette.se,

How the tuning's going?

Ready to read any update on your progress...

Christian

This is how my engine looks right now ---- no Harrop to be seen, currently replaced by a ported FAST90 and ported LS2 throttel (Tony Mamo).

I have not decided yet what to do with the Harrop, junk yard or send it back to Harrop for updates
I have two major issues - locking when cooling down (Harrop will fix free of charge as mentioned earlier in this thread).
The second problem is the ECT - Electronic Controlled Throttel. Harrop must do something about how the throttel position sensor output changes from fully closed to fully opened. As it is now it's far off compared to the output when installed in a stock application causing codes to be set = Reduced Power Mode.

Sending the Harrop to Australia from Sweden is about $450 and the same cost getting it back - $900 which I do not expect Harrop to pay and I have not seen anything about a fix for the throttel position sensor to make it produce the same output from fully closed to fully opened as the stock one.

Last edited by vette.se; 09-23-2007 at 12:21 PM.
Old 09-23-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Resident

This is how my engine looks right now ---- no Harrop to be seen, currently replaced by a ported FAST90 and ported LS2 throttel (Tony Mamo).

I have not decided yet what to do with the Harrop, junk yard or send it back to Harrop for updates
I have two major issues - locking when cooling down (Harrop will fix free of charge as mentioned earlier in this thread).
The second problem is the ECT - Electronic Controlled Throttel. Harrop must do something about how the throttel position sensor output changes from fully closed to fully opened. As it is now it's far off compared to the output when installed in a stock application causing codes to be set = Reduced Power Mode.

Sending the Harrop to Australia from Sweden is about $450 and the same cost getting it back - $900 which I do not expect Harrop to pay and I have not seen anything about a fix for the throttel position sensor to make it produce the same output from fully closed to fully opened as the stock one.
Hi vette.se,

Very sorry to hear you didn't conclude with the mounting of your Harrop Hurricane Intake, it is a shame for the money and time you spent on it...and it may change my mind on my next mod!!!

I think another forum member runs the Hurricane Harrop, Beast96Z I guess, may be you can contact him.

The mechanical problem of the butterfly locking when cooling down seems to be related to R&D from the factory and may be the produce was on the market without enough testing and short on development...but I see on it an easy fix as soon as you consider the different materials involved (Steel in Aluminium !!!!!need some bushing in between obviously)

I feel badly surprised on the tuning side that Harrop didn't provide information and solution enough to make your set-up run as smooth as glaze.
If the Hurricane can't work with a Fly by Wire throttle, the factory needs to be clear about it...at least for the Corvette owners.
Very curious to hear from knowledgeable persons how it is manageable with HP Tuners software and the OEM PCM having all the algorithms engineered around one TB?????

I am on my side looking with interest all those ITB discussions...and it seems some ITB Brands are running very well!!!!!!

May be TUF383 (ken@harrop.com.au) will comment those problems you have and give more lights on what and where are the solutions!

Christian
Old 09-24-2007, 03:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GR33N GoblinM6
Bad freaking ***!!!

why dont you relocate your coils.. its easy

Hey! You are my new best friend.

I have an 04 GTO.

Where should I relocate my coil packs?
Old 09-25-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

This is how my engine looks right now

Hi vette.se,

It would have been better if your engine was looking like this:

Christian
Old 09-25-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't help much here. I have the throttle cable version and mine isn't installed. I suspect I'll have the sticking issues, but hopefully it's something Ken can mail me....
Old 09-27-2007, 04:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Hi vette.se,

It would have been better if your engine was looking like this:

Christian
I do not dare to think about the cost of that setup - but I want it
Old 11-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Has anybody had this issue resolved yet ? Harrop seam to be a bit slow to reply to me so just wondered how anyone else was doing .
Old 11-04-2007, 04:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I guess I will find out in the spring if I will have any problems with mine.

I have a 55mm version with the brass blades for my new 455ci LS7. With LS1 style AllPro heads.

What are the suggestions for tuning? I am considering, HPT, EFI Live and possibly BS3. It is a street car with AC, Stereo and cruise.

Mine is cable activated, I guess that is lucky for me.

Any input would be helpful and appreciated.
Old 11-04-2007, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

How expensive was that intake?

Quick Reply: Harrop 8-throttel intake finaly installed !