Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock catback, replacing muffler?

Old 04-29-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock catback, replacing muffler?

I'm looking to buy a bone stock 01 T/A this week and was thinking about just replacing the stock muffler with something else. Anyone ever do this? It will only be temporary until I decide on what I want to do to the car, I'd like something louder but still keeping a nice (deep would be great!) tone.

And yes I've searched for over an hour, but haven't came up with a lot on this..
Old 04-29-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Addict

Not alot of people do this simply because the stock catback piping is pretty restrictive and for maximum gains the whole thing should be replaced. And Can you weld it up? B/c your probally talkin 80 bux for the muffler and another probally at least 50 to weld it, so thats a little less then half way to a nice catback system, but if you do decide to go with just a muffler I hear good things about the magnaflow and hooker mufflers which can be bought without the whole catback
Old 04-30-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
Not alot of people do this simply because the stock catback piping is pretty restrictive and for maximum gains the whole thing should be replaced. And Can you weld it up? B/c your probally talkin 80 bux for the muffler and another probally at least 50 to weld it, so thats a little less then half way to a nice catback system, but if you do decide to go with just a muffler I hear good things about the magnaflow and hooker mufflers which can be bought without the whole catback
Yeah I run a Hooker Aerochamber on my 04 Silverado and love it! I guess it would be at least $100 for the muffler and welding, might as well buy a catback. I'll go search now, but are there any decent catbacks for say $250 or less? And thanks for the help!
Old 04-30-2007, 12:09 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i just sold my SLP LM1 for 230 shipped. incase you dont know, its totally stainless, chrome polished tips, fits awesome and retails for around $450. its a damn good catback for stock cats/manifolds. sounds bad ***. the going price for these is around 200-300 bucks used.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:27 AM
TECH Addict

If you got any more Q's just post um up in this thread, were happy to help or at least I am.
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/cate...MID=1&catid=46
The link above pretty much lists some of the catbacks available.
The Texas speed rumble catback is similar to the SLP loudmouth so its pretty loud but sounds great on a stock car In my opinion and its only 225 bux plus shipping
Old 04-30-2007, 02:52 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most exhuast setups are pretty affordable if you have a mod budget.
Old 04-30-2007, 08:25 AM
Banned

I RAN 12'S through a stock exhaust with just a magnaflow muffler! Yeah I could go faster with a catback but I like the stock look! You can get a performance muffler installed for now!
Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

The stock i-pipe is maybe a couple of millimeters away from being 3", and is mandrel bent stainless. Most aftermarket exhausts won't flow much better. I just had a Magnaflow welded in (got LTs installed, and had the exhaust guy fab a custom ORY and install the muffler). I figure that frees up my money so I can buy whatever tips I want and have them welded on later.

My current setup runs and sounds great. Would I prefer a full catback? Yeah, but not for the extra cost.
Old 04-30-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 02 wife
I RAN 12'S through a stock exhaust with just a magnaflow muffler! Yeah I could go faster with a catback but I like the stock look! You can get a performance muffler installed for now!
well yea, but its stupid to put $150 dollars in a muffler being installed, when he wants a whole catback eventually, its just like throwing money away. after the mufflers added he will be half way to a catback
Old 04-30-2007, 05:00 PM
Launching!

I was thinking about doing the same thing after my LT's were installed, some peoople wanna keep the stock tips especially us with the CME
Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 PM
Banned

well yea, but its stupid to put $150 dollars in a muffler being installed, when he wants a whole catback eventually, its just like throwing money away. after the mufflers added he will be half way to a catback
It may be a waste if he wants a catback, but if he wants something other than stock it can't hurt! The only cars that really benefit from the catbacks are Z28's and Trans am's. The Camaro SS and the Ws6 stock catbacks flow just as good as expensive catbacks.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Tan327
I'm looking to buy a bone stock 01 T/A this week and was thinking about just replacing the stock muffler with something else. Anyone ever do this? It will only be temporary until I decide on what I want to do to the car, I'd like something louder but still keeping a nice (deep would be great!) tone.
Hooker Aerochamber.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

I don't know who you have been talking to. People spend a grand or so on exhaust setups and don't gain hardly anything. Unless you have a H/C setup, I can't hardly see how a full exhaust or catback is worth the money.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:46 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I don't know who you have been talking to. People spend a grand or so on exhaust setups and don't gain hardly anything. Unless you have a H/C setup, I can't hardly see how a full exhaust or catback is worth the money.
I dont think you know what your talkin about. YES people spend close to a grand on the WHOLE exhaust meaning Catback, cats, Y pipe, Headers, or TD's. With the exception of the GMMG catback most catbacks are in the 350-400 Range SHIPPED. And with a tune FULL exhaust is worth close to 30-50 RWHP on a STOCK car
Old 05-03-2007, 04:56 AM
TECH Addict

if you are lookin for just a muffler, checkout the dynomax welded race muffler for our cars, offers a killer sound, its about $100 though
Old 05-03-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

I have a Hooker Aerochamber clamped in place of my stocker. I just used cheap U bolt clamps at the back and a band clamp to hook the stock I pipe to my 3" ORY and LT headers. I did have to weld an 8" peice of scrap exhaust tubing to make the left tail pipe come out where it does stock since the Hooker is shorter than the stock muffler. I originally thought the inlet to the muffler could be a restriction so I installed a cutout but I can not tell a performance difference. The cutout sounds a lot meaner, but that is about it. I also like the stock tips once painted with a semi-gloss black more than a lot of the polished tips on the available catbacks.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:24 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
If you say so.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:28 PM
Trunion King

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tan327

And yes I've searched for over an hour, but haven't came up with a lot on this..
if you're going to replace stock exhaust later just buy a cut out or cut the pipe that goes over the axle and put a bullet muffler on the stock I pipe and have it dump before the axle. Nice and deep tone.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Magnaflow muffler on stock WS6 piping, very cheap setup and I was pleased with it

Search this Thread