Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BIG Single Exhaust??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default BIG Single Exhaust??

Im Considering runnin a single 3.5 on my car does anybody else run this or have something similar??? If so What muffler are you runnin and where is it mounted? Thanks For any help!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most people go with a 4'' that do it and they place the muffler in stock location like a V6 stock exhaust. I am sure someone on here with this setup will chime in tho and give you the specs, this is just what I have seen when people do the single.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Banned

If you're going to bother redoing your whole exhaust, you are wasting your time by going with a single pipe setup. No matter how big you make the single exhaust it will never flow as well, sound as good, or make as much power as duals. Cars with 2 banks of cylinders should have 2 exhaust pipes for best performance, thats just the way it was meant to be.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't think a single pipe is a waste of time, if I'm not mistaken, a single 4" pipe has almost as much volume as two 3" pipes. It probably would weigh a little less than duals, and would look pretty cool too. You could do something similar to the SLP 2OTL, with the I pipe routed over the axle on the right side, entering the muffler in the standard location, and then exiting on the left.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe Mufflex has a 4' single system if I'm not mistaken.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Intragration
I don't think a single pipe is a waste of time, if I'm not mistaken, a single 4" pipe has almost as much volume as two 3" pipes. It probably would weigh a little less than duals, and would look pretty cool too. You could do something similar to the SLP 2OTL, with the I pipe routed over the axle on the right side, entering the muffler in the standard location, and then exiting on the left.
I would definitely do something like that if i had a camaro!!
Old 04-30-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ONEBADASSWS6
If you're going to bother redoing your whole exhaust, you are wasting your time by going with a single pipe setup. No matter how big you make the single exhaust it will never flow as well, sound as good, or make as much power as duals. Cars with 2 banks of cylinders should have 2 exhaust pipes for best performance, thats just the way it was meant to be.
Really..............my last 4" out the back setup I built sounded badass through a dynatec split flow muffler. I also put down 460/410 through it. Only bitch I have about it is clearance in the tunnel and over the axle.

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/D0A43...1EE65EE793.htm

Not the best sound, but gives you the idea.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
I would definitely do something like that if i had a camaro!!
Yeah, it does look pretty good on the Camaro. I didn't like it at first, I remember when I had ordered my SS and I was waiting for it, and I saw a picture somewhere with the 2OTL, which was unexpected, and I was like "what the hell is that?!" Once I got used to it, I learned to like it a lot. Something very cool and understated about it.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Really..............my last 4" out the back setup I built sounded badass through a dynatec split flow muffler. I also put down 460/410 through it. Only bitch I have about it is clearance in the tunnel and over the axle.

Thats all well and good, but unless you install TD's and get it dyno'd, you still don't know if you would be making more power with that setup. Especially something like 3" duals. Any exhaust looks good until you do a direct comparison with a different setup.

Bottom line is you can do a lot with a single Y-pipe exhaust, but its still a less than optimal setup for a V8 motor. The only reason F-bodies have a single y pipe exhaust is because it was cheaper to manufacture and fit on the car, not because of sound or performance.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool

Originally Posted by Sweet71
Im Considering runnin a single 3.5 on my car does anybody else run this or have something similar??? If so What muffler are you runnin and where is it mounted? Thanks For any help!
Don't!!!!!!!!!!! Just doesn't look right.

Last edited by Kage; 04-30-2007 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:56 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your last, my current.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
Your last, my current.
Hey jerk, where is a good sound clip of that thing? I would like to hear it on your car.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:34 PM
12 Second Club

Thats all well and good, but unless you install TD's and get it dyno'd, you still don't know if you would be making more power with that setup. Especially something like 3" duals. Any exhaust looks good until you do a direct comparison with a different setup.

Bottom line is you can do a lot with a single Y-pipe exhaust, but its still a less than optimal setup for a V8 motor. The only reason F-bodies have a single y pipe exhaust is because it was cheaper to manufacture and fit on the car, not because of sound or performance.

How much less do you think a 4" single exhaust would be losing over a 3" true dual setup?
Old 04-30-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Bud, I have gone through atleast 5 totally different exhausts and have seen the changes on power throughout the rpm range. Nothing new there. You should be looking at it in terms of sq in of area. To which a single 4" is nearly as much as two 3". Its all about the merge as well. There are mostly junk y merges on these cars and you have to use the few that are the best. As in the flowmaster in particular.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rob98LS1
How much less do you think a 4" single exhaust would be losing over a 3" true dual setup?
Sorry, but the quoted member from above does not have all the answers.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Rob98LS1
It depends how much power your actually putting down, BOTH will probally be overkill for anything under 5-600 HP and you probally wouldnt see any difference at all
Old 05-01-2007, 01:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the opinions, do any of you guys runnin the 4" set up have pic from underneath??
Old 05-01-2007, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I found these:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/staff-vehicles-showcase/621483-orangeapeel-s-99-s.html
Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice thanks man!
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 PM
Banned

Bud, I have gone through atleast 5 totally different exhausts and have seen the changes on power throughout the rpm range. Nothing new there. You should be looking at it in terms of sq in of area. To which a single 4" is nearly as much as two 3". Its all about the merge as well. There are mostly junk y merges on these cars and you have to use the few that are the best. As in the flowmaster in particular.
You really have no idea what you are talking about. If it were just about sq in of area, all cars would just come with a big single exhaust. Obviously you're never dyno'd a y-pipe setup and true dual setup back to back. There is much more to it than that.

There's a reason all high end sports cars come with dual exhaust with a crossover of either an X or H pipe. It's best for flow, exhaust velocity, and sound.

A true dual 3" system with an X-pipe will make more power, flow better, and have high exhaust velocities than your 4" y-pipe setup. Its a fact, physics are working against you. If you don't believe me than try it yourself, you will make more power and torque than you have now.

Quick Reply: BIG Single Exhaust??