Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone with QTP hvmc's, please post passengers side spark plug wire clearance pics.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone with QTP hvmc's, please post passengers side spark plug wire clearance pics.

please. trying to locate ones that will fit better, since the stocker is not able to fit cylinder #2 too well, had to shove it on at a fairly steep angle and it touches way to much.

post type of wire and plugs also please.

thanks.

also I dont know why my header is so messed up I just looked at my friends regular qtp the older version and his clearance on his plugs is just like the drivers side on mine, nice and open, plenty of clearance on his k-member as well..
Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using MSD wires and they fit pretty well, just a small tug on it to "bend" it away even though at it's closest it wasn't really touching, but looked like it.

edit:

I forgot to post the pic...

Last edited by SladeX; 05-03-2007 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Last edited by MdFormula350; 05-03-2007 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

here is what mine looks like, the spark plug is threaded in and tight, regular a/c delco plugs. the wire for me to get it on i have to bend the end and really push to get it on.

i used aluminum foil to keep the heat off since it really touches it.

i looked at my friends side and its completely open on all 4 wires just like my drivers side.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:57 PM
TECH Addict

With Jethots I ran the Thundervolt wires and twisted them out of the way with the fiberglass plug wire looms.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

Old 05-03-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

looks like more room than mine

did you have to clearance you k-member?
Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MdFormula350
did you have to clearance you k-member?
Nope.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i was going to guess no as well, those are the hvmc's right?

seems like the cylinder 2 primary tube is just messed up on mine in general alittle but off and the plug wire is too tight and it was hitting the k-member as well.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:09 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't know how these things are built, but it looks like it's just a bad tube.

Have you showed them pics? They would probably send you another one if you let them know of the problem.
Old 05-04-2007, 05:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MdFormula350
i was going to guess no as well, those are the hvmc's right?
Yezzir.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah i emailed / pm'ed them again.

when i had to clearance the k-member which i didnt think i should of needed to do everyone said it will fit once you push up on it and tighten it down, which it still didnt and I just had to cut the k-member it was too damn close right on it. i put new engine poly mounts in, which i didnt even need to (my car only has 14k miles on it). everyone in my other thread said its due to gm varying building, because other people had to clearance the k-members also.

I just cant see how some do and some dont have to clearance the k-member, so I went ahead and did it, however the plug wire going on that bad gave me more of a headache and I just got more of a headache thinking about it. so i just had to make another thread about this to try and get pics of peoples clearance.

now bare and mind I clearanced the k-member alot so that I could put in the headers with them resting on all bolts i didnt push up on them. and you can see how tight the wire is, if I pushed up before installing plugs and wires I would of really had problems, I believe the header is as far forward and u could go but even if it isnt it wouldnt move forward that much at all.

its amazing how Sh4Dy didnt have clearance problems with the k-member and plug, now its pretty clear at least if my mounts were a problem I would have to clear the k-member but my mounts are in right. now as far the wires you cant mess up on bolting the headers on the head since the heads would be exactly the same as any other ls1 head.

I got to go on vacation in another week, dont feel safe at with this wire on it that hard and dont even have a y-pipe yet for the.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My header touches the K-member on the passenger side and QTP told me to put a motor mount on the car. I have 25K on the car. So if that doesn't help I am out 80 more dollars and thats not counting the 2 different times of removal trying to get it to clear. Pushing up does not help mine. oh well huh!
Old 05-04-2007, 03:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

MSD wires with some twisted at the coils to get the wires off the header tubes.
Old 05-04-2007, 04:21 PM
TECH Addict

^ That's what I did with my Thundervolt wires. Worked great.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Build #1
My header touches the K-member on the passenger side and QTP told me to put a motor mount on the car. I have 25K on the car. So if that doesn't help I am out 80 more dollars and thats not counting the 2 different times of removal trying to get it to clear. Pushing up does not help mine. oh well huh!
I doubt mounts are going to work, but at least you will have poly's now
it just seem the headers vary alot just as much as the cars.

the response I got was looks like my wire is bent the wrong way, I twisted them to the left so they would pull the away from the headers, so not much help there.

its not just the end touching its the entire metal boot and wire as a whole it wont fit easily to slip on the plug.

TheSilverOne do you have a better angle pic of the cylinder number 2 plug area, thx
Old 05-05-2007, 06:43 AM
TECH Addict

That just doesn't sound right. I understand that there would be variance, but not to this degree. Can you recall if the number 2 primary is also the pipe that touches the k-member? It could be related...
Old 05-05-2007, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its my number one primary that touches the K-member, so they vary that bad.?
Old 05-05-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Addict

sorry, I was thinking spark plug firing order when I said 2, but yeah the first primary seems to be the culprit of the passenger side then if that's the case.

I got emissions headers, I would think that the only difference is that they drill two holes and weld up tubes, but it may very well be a different tube design for the race style headers.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sorry if i confused anyone.

saying cyclinder 2 meaning the first tube on the passengers side.

yeah pretty primary tube #1 (cylinder 2 the first cylinder on the passengers side) was touching the k-member and my plug wire hardly goes on.

I think its a relation as well. I have a week to get a custom y-pipe made and I really want to pull the passenger header and get another one from qtp. I guess I need to call and see what they can do.

all the work i did already like cutting the k-member to make this one fit and then to have the wire have contact issued i am freakin out over here, lol

I am sure my wire is on there, however, i will say it yet again for 700 bucks there should be no problems like this.

yeah here is a pic of the header

its the bottom tube which is primary 1 cylinder 2

just thinking about this makes me mad. I got a damn whole in my k-member and a wire that I "think" is on.

the drivers side was so easy in all aspects but this passengers side simply sucks, IMO.

Last edited by MdFormula350; 05-05-2007 at 01:07 PM.