Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about installing UNCOATED STAINLESS headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Question about installing UNCOATED STAINLESS headers

Well last time I did this I had coated pacesetters and an A4, this time I have uncoated stainless headers going on an M6 LS1, so my question is are there any precautions I need to take b/c of the extra heat since they arent coated? I have heard of people having problems with the long tubes heating up the fluid in the line going to the master cylinder for the clutch and it causing problems....any truth to this?

all input is appreciated...
thanks,
Chris
Old 05-01-2007, 12:44 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is really not much of a need to get stainless steel coated. From what I've read and heard, the thermal properties and how heat is carried through stainless is different than the mild steel headers. Stainless is supposed to retain heat better. You could coat them for the "every little bit helps" bit, but MOST people with SS don't. FWIW, I've had my Kooks on for almost a year with no problems and they are uncoated.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you got the extra cash, go on ahead. It's not critical, your car will still run well .

Benefits of coating:

Ceramic will retain their "ceramic" look. No discoloration. Stainless will turn a brown color. Look at your stock piping underneath, that's stainless.
Ceramic keeps underhood temps down significantly.
Ceramic will keep the heat inside the pipe (good for 02 sensors and emissions should you run cats)

Regardless, I still have my clutch line all rubber line wrapped. My entire exhaust is stainless steel, but I only coated the headers. I kinda wish I did the tips at least...
Old 05-01-2007, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running stainless works headers for 3 years now, no ceramic coating, no rubber wrap on the clutch line and all is well.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there stainless....thats all you need...and all you need to know
Old 05-02-2007, 04:33 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't coat a stainless header. What is everyone looking to **** more money down the drain for? I don't get it. Stop reading too far into the heat crap and what not. /rant

Quick Reply: Question about installing UNCOATED STAINLESS headers