Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat and PCM Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 01:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat and PCM Tuning

Now that it is summer, I need my car to run cooler. It gets pretty hot up here in the summer so I am going to put a thermostat in my car. Helped my Z400 Quad. I think it might be in my head, but when I drive the car in the morning (colder outside Temp/Cold engine) when I first start it up(100-180 degrees) it feels faster than when it hits Normal Operating (200-215)Temperature. Either way, I want the car to run cooler. After I put the Stat in do I need to get my PCM tuned or will it work without the tuning. With the Stat, won't the fans turn on anyway, even in the PCM isn't tuned. I'll do a 160 Stat also.

Thanks for any help/info . .
Old 05-03-2007, 02:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well what you'll need to do is adjust when the fans come on. The first one comes on at 180* and the second at 195*. You can either take it to a "tuner" and have it done or purchase the SLP gizmo that allows you to turn on the fans manually with a 3 position switch. If your going to do the cam just wait and tune for it then.
Old 05-03-2007, 03:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So if I only tune the PCM and tell it when to turn the fans on .. What do I need the stat for. Wont the PCM read the Temp and turn them on until it gets below my desired temperature?