Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flowtech Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flowtech Headers?

I have an opportunity to get these headers brand new for 200$. How do they fit? How do they flow? Overall are they descent? The price seems unbeatable, I just need opinions of people who have experience with these headers or know anything about them. Thanks in advance.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

crap crap crap and some more crap, get ceramic coated pacesetters for a budget build and nothing less
Old 05-05-2007, 11:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

+1 jus installed my pacesetters and they are fucken sick and their cheap
Old 05-06-2007, 10:21 AM
12 Second Club

what is the reason why flowtech sux?
Old 05-06-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have worked with the Flotechs and they are decent headers but there are much better headers out there for the same price.

Basicly the flanges bend when you torque them down because they are only 1/4" thick. Pacesetters for example are 3/8.

Keep in mind the flowtechs have 3 bolt flanges iif you decide to go with them because you will either need the flowtech y pipe or do some slight modification to the headers and/or y pipe you use.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:01 PM
Launching!

I felt a very big difference in performance, but no track time to comapre, but worth the cheap price. many people seem to hate them (I think mainly word of mouth) but you won't find a cheaper header unless there is some group buy. Even the cheaper pacesetters are more and they don't come with the stuff that flowtech comes with like the 02 extenders and collectors.
Far as quality I think the welds look crappy but mine don't leak on any place so it really doesn't matter. These headers are from the same company as Hooker, actually the same press, but quality is lower. My headers are uncoated and have had them over two years and no problems, you shouldn't worry to much about the Y pipe its very cheap, mine cost 99 bucks from one of the sponsers-sorry I can't remember and you should search around because there was only one that had it for 99, the others were around 120.
Far as the the flange bending, well I tightened mine down much tighter than I needed and It doesn't leak, I almost wonder if they are meant to bend because my flanges weren't perfectly square and I thought they would leak, so if they bend, this might pull them even to match the head. I used the stock metal gaskets, which were falling apart, but they haven't leaked yet.
I personally like the 3 bolt flange, unhooking exhaust is easier, with the slip on you get the pipes rusted together and its sucks to pull them apart. Just use some aluminum gaskets, that way you don't have to keep going down there to change the paper ones, which seem to burn up after 5-6 months then rust sets in and its more work to sand that down before the new gaskets.
They were just as easy to install as my other pair of headers
Let me know if you have any questions

Last edited by d james; 05-06-2007 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-06-2007, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The new flowtechs are better quality. People only say they are crap because others do ( 90% of the time advice from people is bias from others words). i had the older flowtechs on my car yes the welds sucked, did they perform like a LT, yes. I bought new headers after I messed up one and got Flowtechs again. The new ones had very nice welds, coating was evenly applied and over all quality was hard to beat. A LT is a LT, get coated whatever u buy or they will rust, dont care about the name and neather does rust just quality
Old 05-06-2007, 04:40 PM
12 Second Club

thanks guys that helps a lot
Old 05-07-2007, 08:26 AM
TECH Junkie

the quality of the headers is what you would expect. marginal.

the welds were not pretty but they worked. the fit was perfect for me. even teh flowtech ypipe fit within 1/2" of the frame and never hit (granted i have poly motor mounts).

as for teh quality of the coating...well that's something to be pissed about.

the primaries on my headers still look as good as the day i installed them. but the collectors leave something to be desired. what's funny is one header collector has probably 50% of the coating rusted off, while the other one is only about 10-20% rusted. on both it started between where the primaries merge.

now i'm sure it didn't help that the car was flooded with salt water during an ocean flood from the hurricanes in 05...but still.

for the money i spent on headers, ypipe, extensions, gaskets and clamps...i'm very pleased with mine. i'm sure i can easily get another 3-4 yrs out of them. so less than $550 for over 6-7yrs of driving...not bad in my book. if i could have affforded better headers, i would have gotten them.