Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 09:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Header noise

Car has stg 2.5 5.3 heads, 224/224 cam

I just installed Edelbrock fully welded longtubes and their Y. I welded a pair of magnaflow hiflow cats into the Y.

I'm getting an odd noise, not sure if its exhaust leak or just the added noise that comes with headers.

If I am going down the street at 40 in 5th gear and I give the car a little gas, I can hear a shhhhhhhh noise. Not pulsating and not ticking, just a constant shhhhhhhhh until I left off the gas. From the drivers seat, it sounds like its coming from the dr side header. I've checked and repaired all the leaks. Is this normal or am I missing something?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats is a wierd noise. Usually a header leek is a tick niose, not a shhhhhh. If thats all you recently did to your car than I would double check for leeks around your welds and flange.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took a couple other LS1 owners for a ride and the consensus is its just normal noise for a cam'd header car. I plan to keep checking the exhaust for leaks