Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Epoxy hitting IAC

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy hitting IAC

Well I just installed a ported and polished throttle body with epoxy and now my IAC is dropping down to 0. My TPS seems to be fine. And the car seemed to run great, kicked me back into my seat and had a real crisp response. I tried to turn the set screw for the TB blade and managed to get my IAC to read about 30, but my TPS would then drop to .40 and the car would surge a little bit and the response of the pedal was not good. So I put the set screw back to where it was originally and again like the first time, the TPS was fine, the IAC in drive would fall to 0 slowly, the response was getting better, and no surging.
SO after doing that I took the IAC unit out of the TB and noticed that the epoxy was hitting my IAC! Could that be confusing my IAC and making it believe its air? Thats the only conclusion I could come up with because the car drove great with the new TB, however the only problem I had was the IAC dropping real low.
Can anybody chime in please and confirm my lil theory?
O Yeah, I did follow the tutorials for idle tuning and still no luck
Thanks
Old 05-08-2007, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is this what you tried?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/177230-stop-drilling-those-tbs-fix-stalling-without-computer-tuning.html

If not, it's worth taking a shot.
Old 05-08-2007, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Well, you don't want epoxy in the way of the IAC. But just to clarify, when the IAC is zero, it means it is closed. The motor is getting too much airflow and it's trying to restrict as much excess airflow as possible with the IAC valve. To get the IAC to open up, you need to back off the set screw, effectively closing the throttle blade. TPS should read 0% at idle. While it's off, I'd try to remove any epoxy in the path of the IAC. Then, reinstall and back the set screw off so that the IAC reads 60~70 at a warm idle. Then, do a TPS reset. TPS should read 0% and the IAC should be in the 60's. If your car surges after that, the problem is in the tune - not the TB.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:48 PM
11 Second Club

Well the epoxy is NOT hitting the IAC, but I did find a loose piece of epoxy in the hole right before the IAC valve. I'm going to redo the learning process for the car and see what happens.
The tune is stock, all except for a few modifications to the transmission that you provided

Last edited by BlueSLPCamaro; 05-09-2007 at 07:57 AM.