Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SSRA CAI Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 11:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSRA CAI Installation Question

When installling the SSRA CAI, do you keep the radiator shrouds or ditch them??? this thing is kinda of a pain in the ***...
Old 05-12-2007, 12:12 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

id keep them if possible
Old 05-12-2007, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would need to heavily modify them to keep them. I looked at trying to keep the shrouds, but resolved that I would need to nearly cut them in half and figure hout how to refasten them. Quite a lot of work, really.

I removed mine, and the car runs a few degrees hotter, but no big deal. I have them still in one piece sitting on the shelf in case I want to re-install them sometime.
Old 05-12-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formulated
You would need to heavily modify them to keep them. I looked at trying to keep the shrouds, but resolved that I would need to nearly cut them in half and figure hout how to refasten them. Quite a lot of work, really.

I removed mine, and the car runs a few degrees hotter, but no big deal. I have them still in one piece sitting on the shelf in case I want to re-install them sometime.
now how do you know the car is running a few degrees hotter? 99+ guage temps are dummy gauges and wont show you that unless you have an aftermarket guage
Old 05-12-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Regular

i removed mine completely, it was a bit of a pita to get all those clips off but i really dont think there is a way to run the ssra w/o removing them.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tainted
now how do you know the car is running a few degrees hotter? 99+ guage temps are dummy gauges and wont show you that unless you have an aftermarket guage
My factory gauge is calibrated, and it generally seems quite stable relative to the ambient conditions. Before the SSRA my gauge stayed a bit below the 210 mark, but just after it sat just above the 210 mark. I've since confirmed the accuracy of the gauge through EFI Live scan tool, and it's good. I have confidence in my results.
Old 05-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 00Formula00
When installling the SSRA CAI, do you keep the radiator shrouds or ditch them??? this thing is kinda of a pain in the ***...
The instructions that came with the kit state to remove them completely as these will not be installed once the SSRA is in place - which is what I did. To date I don't have any water temp issues with the SSRA. I'll keep an eye on it during the summer. If they do get too high, then I'll revert back to the SLP CAI system (I still have the shrouds, and steel duct) as I didn't have any water temp issues with this set-up.
Old 05-12-2007, 03:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formulated
My factory gauge is calibrated, and it generally seems quite stable relative to the ambient conditions. Before the SSRA my gauge stayed a bit below the 210 mark, but just after it sat just above the 210 mark. I've since confirmed the accuracy of the gauge through EFI Live scan tool, and it's good. I have confidence in my results.

alrighty cool. jsut making sure cuz you know how some people dont know **** from toothpaste so I wanted to make sure you werent one of them
Old 05-13-2007, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

hey guys, i finished it that night, not too pretty but i did keep both of the shrouds..

Only the top shrroud one was butchered to hell

Everything is in and its pretty cool, dont know if there is a difference or if im just mentally juiced? But fun overall...

Quick Reply: SSRA CAI Installation Question