Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Damn Header Bolts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Damn Header Bolts...

Well I had an exhaust leak from one of the cheapo gaskets from when I installed my LTs so I thought Id go out and replace it with one of the good gaskets. Everything comes off easy and I get the gaskets switched, but then the bolts wont go in correctly any more. Four of the six go in fine, but Im pretty sure that the threads are messed up in the other two holes. After about ten turns the bolt looks like its going in crooked and gets almost impossible to turn. Ive tried different bolts, but its the same situation over and over. Would I be able to fix it with just using a tap and die set to redo the threads? Im really hoping that I dont have to remove the heads or anything just cause I replaced a freakin gasket. Any advice is apprecaited. Thanks guys.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I could be wrong, but it sounds like there is some of the loctite in there from the factory bolts. I would cut a notch in one of your bolts and rund it down till it starts to get tight and back it off and see if any crud comes out. Hope this helps!
Old 05-16-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Already tried to see if theres anything in there, but no luck. There was never any residue on any of the bolts when they came out. I really think its the threads, but I dont want to try and tap them if I dont need to.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah got to AZ or any parts store with one of your header bolts in hand. They will get you the tap an die you need, an just clean the threads up. The same thing happen to me an I cleaned the hole out an the bolt went in like butter.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

one reason I always recommend the studs. But in your case be careful, if you remove to much, you may have to helicoil the head, which would turn my stomach, if it was me.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you decide to tap the hole take your new tap an put it next to your header bolt. Put a strip of tape on the tap to mark how long your header bolt is. That way you dont go in to deep.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

lowes sells taps
Old 05-16-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

8m x 1.25 is the tap you'll need. home depot in my area does not sell metric taps. i got mine from a local hardware store.
Old 05-16-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you sure there is a problem with the threads? If you took all the bolts out fine, they should go back in just as easily. Take off the header and the gasket and try threading your bolts straight into the head. My bet is that the header or gasket isn't lined up perfectly
Old 05-16-2007, 08:25 PM
12 Second Club

i started having similar issue when installing my headers, the bolts would go in decent, then get weird. after 2 i stopped and took em back out. i knew i could get the bolts in but didnt know about how much damage i was doing. So instead, i ordered ARP header studs and installed those, then slipped the headers over, that way once the studs are in, i was happy and didnt have to worry about them. and by doing the studs first and being able to see and lien them up better without the headers in the way, all the rest went in perfect.

Last edited by Smokingss; 05-16-2007 at 10:36 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah Im sure its the threads. The gasket and header line up fine and its not the placement of the header holes w/ the head. Even if I try and thread the two problem bolts first lining the holes up with those to start it still gives me issues. I cant really take the header out because its attached to the rest of the exhaust system and the cars not in a place that I can jack it up to get under it. I will look into those header studs though, they seem like they could be a way to fix future headaches.
Old 05-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Banned

When I installed my headers, I was kicking myself in the *** over and over for not going with studs. When I do my H/C, I'm so going with studs. Screw those bolts!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

How far do the studs stick out? I can't help but think they would just be another object that kicks your *** & tears your arms up when you wanna change your spark plugs
Old 05-17-2007, 08:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DropTopBird
I cant really take the header out because its attached to the rest of the exhaust system and the cars not in a place that I can jack it up to get under it.
That is precisely your problem. The exhaust is putting a lot of weight on the headers which is prevented you from lining up the bolts properly. If you unbolted the exhaust before trying to line up the bolts you wouldn't have had an issue. You tore up the threads trying to thread the bolts cockeyed. When threading bolts into an aluminum head if you feel resistance or the bolt goes in crooked you can easily bugger up the threads. Lesson learned.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

I am assuming thats what happened, but Im thinking it was more from when I took them out. When I put the bolts back in, I made sure that the manifold wasnt putting any stress on the bolts but I neglected to think of it when I was removing them. I did learn that lesson though and I sure wont do it again in the future. Hope others can learn from my mistake.