Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant crossover conversion questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 04:54 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant crossover conversion questions.

I'm still new to the LSx stuff and am doing a retro fit into an older vehicle. My question revolves the coolant crossovers. I am gonna convert mine over to braided fuel hose and fittings and am curious weither I should just block off the rear or connect all 4 together? Would there be any difference in cooling system demand levels to decide which to do (i.e. horsepower level)?
Thanks!

Last edited by NIIN20; 05-18-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

this is the way i done mine"way cheaper"i connected the2 rear lines on mine..it works great too..
Old 05-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 5_02ls1
this is the way i done mine"way cheaper"i connected the2 rear lines on mine..it works great too..
Connected to each side or connected all 4 together? Thanks
Old 05-19-2007, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the back being plugged off is beleived by some to help make no7 go.. i have a fast and even though it was a pita to make; all mine are connected. went over the intake instead of under. made my own blocks out of brass and ss tube to connect to rubber line and a few t fittings.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 00454sscamaro
the back being plugged off is beleived by some to help make no7 go.. i have a fast and even though it was a pita to make; all mine are connected. went over the intake instead of under. made my own blocks out of brass and ss tube to connect to rubber line and a few t fittings.

So your saying that some think that blocking the rear steam crossover contribute to the problems with the #7 cylinder? Thanks.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

blocked mine, when i converted to the LS6 intake......my number 7 spun a rod bearing...could this have been the culprit?????
Old 05-21-2007, 09:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSdreamz
blocked mine, when i converted to the LS6 intake......my number 7 spun a rod bearing...could this have been the culprit?????
****...don't tell me that, I just capped mine off.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Launching!

dont block it off connect all four together. you can find a number of fried number 7's with the rear capped.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Just curious, all the cars with the ls6 intake from the factory, are those blocked off too?
Old 05-22-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Just curious, all the cars with the ls6 intake from the factory, are those blocked off too?
Yup. Just the two block off's in the back.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:35 AM
11 Second Club

Then that is garbage. They wouldn't have blocked them off if there was anything wrong with it. I believe that the steam will travel to the highest point and then go to the radiator which is even higher.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NIIN20
I'm still new to the LSx stuff and am doing a retro fit into an older vehicle. My question revolves the coolant crossovers. I am gonna convert mine over to braided fuel hose and fittings and am curious weither I should just block off the rear or connect all 4 together? Would there be any difference in cooling system demand levels to decide which to do (i.e. horsepower level)?
Thanks!
You can order some really cool blockoffs from Wegner. I did,a nd then I ordered the hose and AN fittings from summit. Should be really trick looking..
Old 05-22-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

If the rears are capped off, and the front is still joined together you should not have an issue. this is the way that all ls6's came from the factory, as well as 01-02 f-bodies equiped with a ls6 manifold. If you see a number of number 7 going out, look at the situations. No2, fI, high mileage, beat to ****, or generally worked on by someone who should not work on a car, or other factors. Now do not get me wrong here, things happen, but if proper coolant manitaince is done and motor is maintaned, things usually just do not happen out of the blue. Cap them of and put your time and money elsewhere, IMO
Old 05-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
If the rears are capped off, and the front is still joined together you should not have an issue. this is the way that all ls6's came from the factory, as well as 01-02 f-bodies equiped with a ls6 manifold. If you see a number of number 7 going out, look at the situations. No2, fI, high mileage, beat to ****, or generally worked on by someone who should not work on a car, or other factors. Now do not get me wrong here, things happen, but if proper coolant manitaince is done and motor is maintaned, things usually just do not happen out of the blue. Cap them of and put your time and money elsewhere, IMO

Thank you. I was just speculating ideas from the Gen1 stuff like tying the coolant passages together front to rear, etc. Didnt know if any of that had any merit on these engines or even mattered or if it would hurt anything. I'm sure this is the least of my worries on my build but I like the little trick things to stand out and function and have reason. I dont see the steam crossovers doing much to # 7 myself either unless the engine is tuned to the edge and that being the hottest cylinder it ges first.Thanks.
Old 05-23-2007, 03:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Stang's Bane
You can order some really cool blockoffs from Wegner. I did,a nd then I ordered the hose and AN fittings from summit. Should be really trick looking..
Found Wegners site, THANKS! Them look cool enough! I was gonnna drill and tap the head directly but wasnt sure if the there would be clearance to the head bolt/stud access or not.
Old 06-24-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by 98Camarod
Then that is garbage. They wouldn't have blocked them off if there was anything wrong with it. I believe that the steam will travel to the highest point and then go to the radiator which is even higher.
It may be garbage on a stock Z06, but GM doesn't account for bigger cams, questionable tuning, and so forth. I believe that you should connect all 4 together.

Andrew
Old 06-24-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by daryl2cb@yahoo.com
i have a lower mileage car, no N20, no forced induction, and i certainly dont beat the **** out of my car! hell the car is lucky to see 3k miles a year. mostly to shows and a couple of cruise nights. its just one of those things that happens......