Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Hesitates / Surges

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2003, 12:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Hesitates / Surges

Installed a O/R Y-Pipe yesterday and the car was initially running fine. After a while of driving, under really light acceleration at lower rpms (1800-2400) the car hesitates noticably. Its worse when going up hill, like it doesnt have the power to pull up. But soon as you give it a little gas, its smooth and just pulls. Other than that hesitation while on the throttle lightly, the car pulls hard and has no noticable power loss at all.

Also, occassionally at idle, the rpms drop to about 500 and it sounds like it has a cam in it. DEFINITELY sounds like a cam with the cutout open. Everything is more noticable with the cutout open. This also doesnt happen all the time. One traffic light I'll stop and the car is perfect, takes off perfect, but then the next light when I stop, it could drop down to about 300 before a complete stop and idle a little rough and take off smooth, but then the next light it could idle fine but when taking of lightly it could hesitate. The hesitation also happens at lower speed cruise control (going about 55). My initial thought was not enough backpressure, but I would figure after about 120 or so miles, the car would have learned some flow patterns and adjusted, Im lost now.

Only mods on the car are a Whisper Lid, O/R YPipe, Magnaflow Catback. Its a 99 A4.

Any ideas?
Old 04-28-2003, 09:13 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Car Hesitates / Surges

had this same type thing happen to me this weekend while changeing the plugs and wires on my wifes suburban. Now it does not have headers and such of course. but I think that has no barring here.

anyway getting of topic, like I said had same issues found #3 plug had a crack in it. replaced plug, and ZOOM ZOOM,
Hope this helps,
Pete
Old 04-29-2003, 11:36 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Car Hesitates / Surges

TTT - I have the same issue. Heads, cam, blower car. New plugs, wires, etc? Gotta be something in the tuning...