Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extending O2s

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extending O2s

I finally got some time to put on my headers and I have a majority of the work done, but I need to know what to do with the O2s. I got the kit from pacesetter that includes the long tube headers, y pipe and wiring for extending the O2s. I pulled off the mesh off of one of the O2s and I see that there are 4 wires, do you just use the same wire for all four to splice them in order to extend them? Also I was wondering what the header bolts have to be torqued at? Or can they just be tightened down snugly? Thanks.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Launching!

^ This is my friends name, I actually posted this.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would urge you to buy the extentions from texas-speed or another sponsor...If your wiring fails or is done wrong the 02s will not read right and cause problems. As far as the header bolts get them tight go through a couple heat cycles and do it again.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's better to get some nice weathertite extensions but if you do a good job you should be fine just splicing in some length. Solder and insulate the wires. Don't forget to disconnect the battery while working. If you wire it wrong you will prolly blow a fuse and the car will run like poo.

I go by the nize-n-tite spec for the bolts. Just get them snug using a 1/4" drive or a 10mm gear wrench. Be careful starting them though, they are easy to cross thread.

....Don't forget, two clicks to get the plug wires on all the way.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:02 PM
Launching!

What do you do if a bolt gets cross threaded, I think this may have just happened on the very back header bolt. The bolt didn't get tightened down too far and it didn't mess up the threads on the bolt, it just looks like its cleaned off where it started to thread in.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

if its cross threaded you can heli-coil it to fix it, i had to do one of the rocker arm bolts and its good to go. also yea i had the same header kit with the wire extensions , never had any problems after splicing them but i wish i would have bought some from tsp.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:19 PM
Launching!

whats heli-coil?
Old 05-20-2007, 05:39 PM
Staging Lane

I was about to ask the same question...
Old 05-20-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Heli coil is a way to repair stripped threads. See link below. They work if it's already stripped. But if it's a header bolt you will have to remove the head to use one unless you can get a drill in there. I would view this as a last resort because your going to have to drill and tap your head. If you think it's stripped, take the header back off and clean out the threads (wd 40 & a pipe cleaner works well) and inspect to see if it's still usable as is. Sometimes it's just the first thread that gets messed up and you can fix it with a dremel and/or tap.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...0&PMT4TP=*LTIP

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNPDFF...0&PMT4TP=*LTIP
Old 05-20-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Buy the Corvette O2 sensors. They come long enough straight out of the box.

Bosch 13111 is the part number
Old 05-21-2007, 12:11 AM
Launching!

I bought a tap and die set at advanced auto along with a freeze plug for the EGR. Once I got home I lubed up the tap with some oil, put it in the thread and turned (sweating bullets), at first it was hard and then you could feel it come into the original threads and I think it was then when I sighed in relief. I got the headers bolted up the AIR removed along with the EGR put everything back together, extended the pass side o2 with wire given, hooked up the battery and then finally fired it up. And godamn it makes an awful racket with just the open headers, sounded badass though. Now all I need to do is bolt up the Y and I'll be good to go, minus a tune. I can't even explain how much better I felt once I got that back bolt in correctly, it made me sick to my stomach when it cross threaded. Thanks for all the help and advice, I love this site.