Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best performing catback? Any Dyno inf

Old 04-28-2003, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the best performing catback? Any Dyno inf

I was thinking of a Random Tech catback . Dyno test have shown it to produce 22 RWH and 20 RWT but its $595 for a Stainless setup. Magnaflows are $450 for a stainless setup and my local muffler shop can get them for me. Which cat back has the best performance without resonating and which one sounds the best. I don't want it too load just beefy. I think its going to be a Magnaflow set up but Random Tech and Hooker are tempting. I also heard from a muffler guy that Spin tech muffler are the best. He can't get them but he runs them on his 650hp race car. I currently run 13.2 at 106mph with a K&N, a deck lid, a flowmaster muffler, 273 gear, A4. I also did some free mods ( cold air and egr) Will the catback drop me to 13.0's.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: What is the best performing catback? Any Dyno inf

if your looking for the best flowing (loudest) no other that slp loud mouth will do be cautioned that many calim to have a drone even for daily driving and almost all say if you loose the cats or stock maniflods you gotta change it cause it sounds like crap. my choice is borla beacouse it too is stainless and mandrel bent the reason also it folws well has no cheep glasspacking to wear out has imo the best lookiung tips avaible and is adjustable for different driving conditions easily and quickly without tools or even laying on the ground. alot of more refined drivers like corsica imo corsica sounds real nice but needs to be louder. personally mufflex, randome tech, and spin tech, are not the best for one reason or another. id espaclly stay away from any "turbo mufflers" like i think one of the above claims. finally i usally dont like to deal with online vendors for exaust beacouse ive found that they dont really compete well with local shops for exaust prices and other heavier items. o yea you shop is full of bs it the best price they can give on magna flow is 450 i was quoted 325 installed for mine in daytona beach fl and that was from a magna flow dealer. my personal feelings on magan flow is they seem like a good mix between a loud mouth and slp two out the left as far as loudness and flow. i was gonna do magna flow but i got a great deal on borla so i had to take it. Last, i wouldent be too concerned with dyno # beacouse the real world difference between most exausts on a car like yours or mine that is not using better heads or even headers is beynod marginal so id choose the one that sounds to your liking beacouse i promise you you will notice that much more. o yea the dyno numbers can be easily skewed up or down a couple horses by such things as air temp weather they dynoed with the air box on or off, engine temp, the dyno it self, and many many other variables that besically says that a diff of 5- hp can result from a margin of error and you cant always be looking at total hp gains with mods beacouse it dosenot tell the whole story hypothetically one mod could add 5 peak horses while the other may add 3 but add it to a greater section of the powerband therefore result in more bang for buck so like i said in my above rablings pick exause on looks, bulid quality, and sound and trust me it its from a reputable manfacture it will have just as good gains as any other exaust
Old 04-29-2003, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

you will love the magnaflow!
trust me
Old 04-29-2003, 09:54 AM
On The Tree

The SLP Loud Mouth is the best flowing catback exhaust available right now, period. Some can't deal with the resonating so they install a Dynomax Bullet muffler where the resonator is to help reduce the excessive resonance. I don't have any trouble with the resonating noise so much even at highway speeds. I actually like how it sounds and at WOT it sounds awesome! If you do plan to gut your cats it can and does get unbearable.
Old 04-29-2003, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

My borla does the job for me. I just wish I had a Borla with Corsa tips.
Old 04-29-2003, 03:07 PM
On The Tree

Don't forget about the Hooker catback! It flows really well and has a mean sound for a great price.
Old 04-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

I don't see how any of the catbacks mentioned so far could be that different as far as performance goes. You can see right through all the mufflers, the only difference is the Random Tech catback has 3" tailpipes vs. 2.5" for the rest. I wouldn't imagine that making much of a difference.
Old 04-29-2003, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Being that I have no cats (off road mac), I remember one time at the track a guy had the same set-up as me but with a loudmouth cat-back w/ a borla XR-1 race muffler instead of the resonator that comes with. If anyone has this set-up please reply and state the type of sound it produces and what kind of noise I can expect inside the cabin of a ragtop.

Thank you,
Brandon
Old 04-29-2003, 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

I used to have an SLP LM, that was a good flowing exhaust, but too loud once I put the ORP's on...

So I decided to switch back to my "stock" SLP dual-dual, I think this system could be one of the best flowing exhauts on the market, but I put a cutout on just for that extra flow when I need it...
Old 04-29-2003, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got my Random Tech from Thunder Racing for about $320. Works great! It is a straight thru (left side)design similar to a Bullet Muffler. The right side pipe is mostly cosmetic as it probably only flows about 5-10%.
For even better flow; install a Flowmaster Collector on the Y-pipe.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:04 PM
TECH Resident

I have the SLP loudmouth with SLP longtubs and no cats. The sound is painfully loud..im debating on sticking a muffler where the resonator is. But I haven't made up my mind. I would love to have a B&B exhaust though.
Old 04-30-2003, 10:28 PM
TECH Regular

THIS question again
Old 05-01-2003, 01:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the SLP LM with gutted cats. I LOVE IT!!!! It's loud and obnoxious and I wouldn't have it any other way. When you drive at under 2krpms it's really not that loud. There is a drone from like 2000-2500rpm. But hey...different strokes for different folks. Don't settle on one exhuast until you hear it for yourself.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:45 AM
12 Second Club

I'd say Borla, I put down 321RWHP/328RWTQ in my '98 with a lid and Borla.
Old 05-01-2003, 01:51 AM
TECH Regular

I'd say Borla, I put down 321RWHP/328RWTQ in my '98 with a lid and Borla.
Strong '98 you have there.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Another vote for the Hooker cat-back. My supercharged LS1 loves it almost as much as I do...

Mike M
Old 05-05-2003, 07:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

just remember...if your keeping your cats... loudmouth! you also dont have the weight of the jumbo muffler!

Search this Thread