Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks Lt's and Ypipe install advice needed please!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 02:11 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Kooks Lt's and Ypipe install advice needed please!

I will be installing a set of Kooks Lt's this weekend for a friend on the forum and I only have experience installing pace lt's. Is there any advice anyone can share as far as any other special tools or methods to install these badboyz? I would greatly appreciate it.
he already has the plugs,wires, poly mounts,reusing gaskets, and block off's...I would greatly appreciate it
thankyou in advance!!
Old 05-24-2007, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pacesetter, Kook, QTP, Hooker. If you installed one, you've pretty much installed them all. Should be a pretty straight forward install, does he have 1 3/4 or 1 7/8?? The 1 7/8 will take some extra effort thats why I asked. Good luck on the install- I hope he pays/tips well
Old 05-25-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

I just installed a set of Kooks long tubes with catted y-pipe this past weekend. The install was very simple and took about 10-12 hours total. First thing I did was removed AIR and EGR, coil packs, and plugs and wires. I then jacked up the car and had the front around 24" off the ground and the rear were on ramps. Unplug the 02 sensors, remove the passenger side cat converter seperate from cat-back. I removed the starter to get the dip stick out and just let it hang so I could install the header. Header will slide in with no issue. Reverse the install. As far as the driver's side, I had to remove the oil filter and drain plug and like I said before make sure the car isas high as you can get it. Once the cat converter is removed and the front o2 sensor is out, you can remove the manifold. To install the header put the collector as near vertical as possible toward the floor and slide the header flange where the oil filter/plug would have been. Once in there it should be no issue. Some people have had to loosen the motor mount and jack the engine a bit but I did not. On a side note, if you have the means I would suggest getting some poly motor mounts now since the install would be cake with the headers out. Just my opinion. Feel free to ask anymore questions as its very fresh in my mind.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:51 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks cakes I appreciate it!!
But why did you have to remove the oil filter?
Did you have any clearance issues?
How is the Ypipe's fit and finish?
I will be doing this install tomorrow and I told him I'll do it as long as he does the motor mounts
Old 05-25-2007, 07:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

The oil filter needs to come off because that is the only way the header can go up in there. Once that is removed along with drail plug it slid right in with no issues. I spoke with another guy who installed them and he said on his car he needed to jack the engine but I think that would depend on how worn your original mounts are as they tend to let the engine sag as they wear. The y-pipe is awesome. Welds are tremendous. I have not had time to adjust the y-pipe but it does hit the floor board under acceleration. You will noticed that where the pipes merge is right near the transmission mount. The mount has (2 holes that protrude near it. Try and adjust it out of the way. When I installed mine, I pushed each pipe as far onto the collector as I could (approx. 2" onto the collector) but I think you should be fine with 1" because the supplied clamps will tighten very nicely with no leaks. Anything else feel free.....
Old 05-25-2007, 01:22 PM
12 Second Club

Cakes I appreciate the info!!!
I will be doing the poly mounts and will take you advice!
I will be doin this install saturday morning, So wish me luck LOL!!!
It should be ok, he got the race version so I will be yanking all the AIR crap out!!
Thanks, Ill post here and tell ya how it went!!
Old 05-25-2007, 03:09 PM
Launching!

I recently installed mine as well. 1 7/8 race version too. I didn't get my car two feet in the air, so yeah I had to jack my engine up out of the way. My catted y also hits the floor with about 1- 1/2 inches on the collector. I'm installing a cutout as well and had to chop up my mid-pipe. make sure that the mid-pipe doesn't hit the driveshaft. Mine had to be dented for clearance of the u-joint. I've got to try to adjust the position of the y for more floor clearance and a better straight shot through the driveshaft tunnel.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

thanks cakes the install was a small nightmare at times but its in and sounds good w/ no exhaust leaks!!! i appreciate everyone's help!!