Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dynomouth questions?? for straight pipe setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynomouth questions?? for straight pipe setup

My M6 '99 TA currently has a stock exhaust except for pipes installed instead of a muffler. It is basically the same as a Loudmouth but without any type of muffler. The drone at 80 mph kills a person but it is bearable at 70 mph. Will installing the bullet type dynomax muffler near the driveshaft help this resonance at all? I love the sound of it now and want to keep the same tone but want to be able to go on trips without a headache.
Old 06-01-2007, 02:04 PM
Launching!

So you have basically a straight pipe type setup going out the back? No resonator or muffs? If so then yes a dynomax bullet in the I-Pipe in the area i have mine would greatly help with the drone. Mine is right between the center console and the hump between the rear seats. I have a slight drone but deep i love it, even my girlfriend who hated it at first loves the sound. On a sidenote while i wasnt the first person to use the dynomouth setup I was the person who came up with the name back in the old ls1.com days.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 AM
Teching In

That is pretty cool. You should patent it. Haha. So you've never been without a muffler? I will probably order one soon but I'm just curious if anyone has ever had just pipe after the cats and then put the dynomax in.
Old 06-05-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did a DynoMax bullet in place of the LM resonator...it didn't do diddly for drone or rasp. I replaced the DynoMax with a Borla XR-1 and it made all the difference in the world... Zero rasp, light drone and nearly as loud as the bullet.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:25 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99silverls1
That is pretty cool. You should patent it. Haha. So you've never been without a muffler? I will probably order one soon but I'm just curious if anyone has ever had just pipe after the cats and then put the dynomax in.
Patent pending

Seriously though I would think that with just straight out you wouldnt have enough back pressure but I'm probably wrong. Although I have heard the drone of a loudmouth and I couldnt imagine the drone of nothing at all.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Teching In

I've had this setup for 11,000 miles and its still running strong. I also had a '95 with the same setup without probs. I think the cats provide plenty of backpressure. I've never heard a loudmouth setup in person, but I'm guessing that mine is quite a bit louder.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Teching In

I did a DynoMax bullet in place of the LM resonator...it didn't do diddly for drone or rasp. I replaced the DynoMax with a Borla XR-1 and it made all the difference in the world... Zero rasp, light drone and nearly as loud as the bullet.

So you put the muffler in where it's suppose to go and not by the driveshaft? My car is lowered an inch or more and I live in ND where the streets are f'd up so I don't know if I should put the borla in the rear or the dynomax by the driveshaft. Clearance will be a problem.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Sound clip?

My car has the G2 Super Springs so it sits llllooowww and only things i scrape on are speed bumps or coming out of a raised parking lot onto a lower street. Just gotta be smart about where you drive.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:18 AM
Teching In

I don't have a sound clip at the moment. If I have time soon, I will get one.
Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SupermanSS
On a sidenote while i wasnt the first person to use the dynomouth setup I was the person who came up with the name back in the old ls1.com days.
Those were good ol days