Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers & Exhaust: lift tools needed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers & Exhaust: lift tools needed?

Wondering for you do it your-self types.. what lift set up did you use to get it done?

Im wondering if the 18 inch jacks and stands will suffice.. Im debating about trying to get a 30 inch jack and some high lift stands.

Chuckles.. ideally wouldnt a 2 post lift just be sweet hehe

Just dont know if itll give me enough room.. shrugs... and I dont think Ill feel safe putting 2x4/6 or whatever under the stands and jack..
Old 06-02-2007, 07:47 PM
Launching!

I used a floor jack and some jack stands. No big deal.
Old 06-03-2007, 02:45 PM
TECH Regular

you just need to have the car off the ground enough to be able to move the headers around. i had to take off the steering shaft and then point the drivers side header straight up to get it to go.... i was also on a lift so not sure how much clearance you will need maybe 2 feet
Old 06-03-2007, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

when i put mine on the first time i used jack stands and it was a super pain in the ***. i had to quit many tie to keep from getting frustrated. then after all that my flange was warped on the header so i took it to the hobby shop on base here. had the headers off fixed and back on in an hour. if you can get a lift and a 10mm ratchet wrench. it will save you a **** load of time
Old 06-03-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Regular

i stacked cinderblocks underneath the jackstands and jack and got it pretty high in the air. I gave the car a good shake to make sure it was sturdy before i got to workin though. didnt shake one bit...
Old 06-03-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

mm i was thinking of gtting the wood, not sure if id trust thecindrblocks,.. i think i might worry about a crack or something

.. i ended up getting the 3 ton combo craftsman combo from sears and going to go uner there and play around.

My main thing is I am going in there to trouble shoot some rattle coming from somewhere between the hi flow cts and the muffler.

I am wondering if I should get 4 jack stands and lift te whole car up as opposed to 2.. shrugs
Old 06-03-2007, 09:33 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RocketCutlass
i stacked cinderblocks underneath the jackstands and jack and got it pretty high in the air. I gave the car a good shake to make sure it was sturdy before i got to workin though. didnt shake one bit...

I wouldn't worry about the car shaking, I would worry about the cinder blocks cracking in half!

But I easily did a header swap on my Camaro with a set of jackstands.
Old 06-03-2007, 09:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dip Stick
mm i was thinking of gtting the wood, not sure if id trust thecindrblocks,.. i think i might worry about a crack or something

.. i ended up getting the 3 ton combo craftsman combo from sears and going to go uner there and play around.

My main thing is I am going in there to trouble shoot some rattle coming from somewhere between the hi flow cts and the muffler.

I am wondering if I should get 4 jack stands and lift te whole car up as opposed to 2.. shrugs
See if you can invest in some heavy duty ramps for the front of the car. Makes it much easier and safer than working around jackstands. I also find it easier to jack the car up and palce the ramps under the front wheels, rather than trying to actually drive up them. Thats what I used for my LT header install, along with jackstands on the rear axle for extra room when hooking it up to the rest of the exhaust.

If you need more clearance to get the stock manifolds out or the headers up and into the engine bay, just place your jack under the center of the K-member with a block of wood between, and you can easily get another few inches without the tirtes even leaving the ramps.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:42 PM
On The Tree

Used ramps/jack stands and alot of cuss words.