Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on LS6 Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 12:23 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on LS6 Intakes

Hey gang, just joined up today and have a question for you guys.

I have a 1999 Trans Am when I dynoed it stock, with the MAF screen removed, I put down 316rwhp & 336rwtq on a mustang dyno.

Now, I know the 00 prior LS1's has the LS1 intake manifold. What reasons would I need to upgrade to the LS6 intake? Or is the LS1 perfectly fine for my application?

My current mod list is an SLP 85mm MAF & SLP Air lid. Free ram air mod from ls1.com website. Also on order a hooker cat-back system. Which I'll get another dyno after the cat-back just to see what gains I got from intake/exhaust upgrades.

My car runs pretty good off the line but from 80+ it doesn't seem to accelerate quite as strong as a 2002 Z28 does (test drove my brother-in-law's Z).

Just curious. And future mods would be after exhaust headers, heads and cam upgrades.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2003, 12:49 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: Question on LS6 Intakes

I think you'll only see noticeable gains from it after heads/cam. If you're planning those anyway it's up to you when you do it, I would think the best time would be during a head swap since your stock would be off then anyway.
If it's an auto a stall would wake up your hit at 80, an m6 would like 410's, a light driveshaft, and a light flywheel to accelerate faster. Flywheel would cause you a slight loss at launch you could compensate with using driving skills.
Headers might be a better bang for $ right now as well
Old 05-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Launching!

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

I was unsure if the intake would be worth the $$ now or later. Think I will wait till I get geared for the heads/cam swap since the motor would be open at that point anyway. Do it all at one time.

I do plan on getting headers as my next mod, and possibly a torque converter. Yea I have the A4. Would a 3200 stall converter be a good shot for a daily driven T/A?
Old 05-01-2003, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, that's what I needed to know.

I was unsure if the intake would be worth the $$ now or later. Think I will wait till I get geared for the heads/cam swap since the motor would be open at that point anyway. Do it all at one time.

I do plan on getting headers as my next mod, and possibly a torque converter. Yea I have the A4. Would a 3200 stall converter be a good shot for a daily driven T/A?
That's what I did, changed my LS1 intake to a LS6 when I had my heads off...much less work that way!

Let me give you one piece of advice. If you are going to get headers, THEN do your heads, getting the heads off the car is VERY hard (especially the drivers side head) with the headers still in the car. The only way I know of to get the headers out of the car is with a lift, since you need so much room to do it. So if you are doing your heads/cam in your garage like I am, and you already have headers in your car, like I do, then be prepared for a huge battle with the head bolts.

Lastly, about the convertor. A 3000-3200 stall convertor is the perfect range (in my opinion) for an A4 street driven car. You can go much higher, but daily drivability will be affected. I have a 3000 in my car and I absolutely love it. You will definitely need a 3000+ convertor for a medium to large sized cam if thats what you are planning on doing.

Welcome to the board, and have fun with your car!