Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to clean top end with??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 06:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to clean top end with??

Installed catch can/filter, now I need something to clean the existing residue out of the top end of my engine. What to use, what to use? Thanks in advance!

-Andy
Old 05-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Launching!

Default Re: What to clean top end with??

Go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and check out the forums. There is a section on Gasoline Engines...specifically search for threads that have to do with "Neutra #131" and/or "AutoRx."

-Kris
Old 05-01-2003, 08:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If i remember correctly i think that someone once said that there is a "GM Top End Cleaner" that you can purchase somewhere. I may be wrong, but seems like somethin to look into.......
Old 05-01-2003, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

If i remember correctly i think that someone once said that there is a "GM Top End Cleaner" that you can purchase somewhere. I may be wrong, but seems like somethin to look into.......
Yep, it's called "Cleens". It's about 6 bucks for the aerosol can, just spray it through the TB while
the car is idling then shut the car off and let it sit awhile (overnight preferably). Then take the car out and romp on it, change the plugs and oil and you're good to go. Did this just recently (and every spring after bring the car out of storage) - be prepared for LOTS of smoke out the tailpipe
Old 05-02-2003, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

How bad are the plugs after you run the cleaner thru the engine?
I'm at 56k miles but I just changed the plugs a few thousand miles ago and would rather not do it again
Old 05-02-2003, 02:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes it s GM top end engine cleaner. You just suck it thru your vacum hose and look at all the carbon coming out of the tail pipes. theres also one called sea foam.
the old timers use to use water and called it giving the motor a drink.
Old 05-02-2003, 05:37 AM
TECH Regular

Ewwww, I really don't wanna change the plugs right now! Maybe I'll see if it clears itself up. If there's one thing I hate doing on these cars, it's changing the rear plugs!!