Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutout Illegal?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Cutout Illegal?

So I tried to get my Magnaflow muffler and cutout installed today but the guys at Meinekie (sp?) told me that a cutout is illegal. I said yea, maybe if I run around with it open but its not illegal to have one on the car though... is it? I called ahead and he didn't tell me they wouldnt do it until I got there so I didn't have time to go anywhere else today.

He said he has been in the business over 20 years and isn't going to go to jail over something like this So is there any truth to the illegality of having one? I don't want to run it open on the street. Thats the whole point of having the muffler welded in

I guess I'll have to go to "Bob's Auto" or someone generic with some cash. Those places will do anything haha

PS: Yaye for PowerTour in Springfield tomorrow!
Old 06-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would have to say it all depends on your state or local laws and technically it probably is regardless of what you tell them your intentions are. I don't see someone installing one going to jail though.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:59 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They can get fined for doing modifications to a "smog legal" car. It is a good chunk of change too.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

as long as you put it after the cats it is not illegal......so they are retarded like most guys who work for meineke.....
Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 AM
Staging Lane

Rofl @ Meneike... hell Midas too..lol.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:56 AM
TECH Addict

Some states do not allow them while others do so long as emissions equipment is left in place. However you also run into the loud exhaust issue with a cutout and could be getting stopped more frequently depending on how you drive.
Old 06-05-2007, 03:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

I love how theres so many laws against cars being loud,but its ok for people to run around with loud *** harleys day and night,not that I dont love the sound of a harley but its just a little biast if you ask me
Old 06-05-2007, 04:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

i never pulled over a car for that kind of noise, neither a bike....however i HATED BOOM in cars....i wrote more tickets then anything for that ghetto ****
Old 06-05-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you try going to a chain type muffler/exhaust shop - they probably wont install the cut-out for you. Find a small, local owned shop, and you'll be fine.

Its very legal to have a cut-out, just as long as its Closed on the public road, Illegal if its open on the public road.

If the block off plate is held in by the 3 bolts, and you get pulled over, it's easy to prove that its closed...cop only has to look. If its an electric, it might be a tough sell. :-)
Old 06-05-2007, 08:23 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guess it depends on where you are if they'll do it for ya. I got mine done by Meneike down here. $50 and they did a good job.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01FormulaTA
as long as you put it after the cats it is not illegal......so they are retarded like most guys who work for meineke.....
I remember on another car I had I wanted full exhaust and they wouldn't do anything forward of where the cats are supposed to be. But anything from that point back was fair game.

Originally Posted by Michael02hawk
If you try going to a chain type muffler/exhaust shop - they probably wont install the cut-out for you. Find a small, local owned shop, and you'll be fine.

Its very legal to have a cut-out, just as long as its Closed on the public road, Illegal if its open on the public road.

If the block off plate is held in by the 3 bolts, and you get pulled over, it's easy to prove that its closed...cop only has to look. If its an electric, it might be a tough sell. :-)
Yeah, those little shops will do anything as long as you have cash. I didn't have time yesterday to shop around to see if anyone else would do it. I'm sure someone around here will do it, I just wanted to investigate how "illegal" it is to have one in your car.

I don't even want to drive around with it open. My LT/ORY/LM right now is more than enough loud. Hell to put in a bullet and cutout can't take more than 45 minutes.