Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help! Simple mods how-to's and how-not's

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2003, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help! Simple mods how-to's and how-not's

ive seen this "PCV mod" and the TB bypass mod, and i'm pretty new to the ls1. could anyone tell me what exactly these do for HP and how to do them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-02-2003, 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Need Help! Simple mods how-to's and how-not's

The PCV mod addresses oil consumption and will yield no performance gain at all. It is designed to cut down on the amount of oil that gets into the intake manifold as a result of the engine simply running.

The TB bypass mod is designed in theory to help get power up by keeping the TB as cool as possible to eliminate the minimal losses experienced by the hot coolant raising the intake air temperature. I didn't catch where you live, but if it is someplace that gets cold weather, leave it be. If you are hell bent to do it, you can but please dont expect the gains to be measureable at all in most cases.

The website www.ls1howto.com has a lot of great write-ups on a lot of mods. Basically, you need to pull the black coolant lines off the TB, use a piece of metal tubing and clamps to essentially join the two sides of the hose and use rubber plugs to seal the TB holes. It's a very easy mod...maybe 20-30 minutes if you slack off. Kits are availble, too, from the sponsors! ------>
Old 05-02-2003, 12:19 AM
On The Tree

Neither is worth the time or effort IMO. The by-pass can be convenient if your TB comes off a lot but otherwise not necessary unless you go hardcore with your motor. If it snows were you live don't do it.

Matthew
Old 05-02-2003, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the TB Bypass mod is worth it. You'll see zero gain from it. There's no point IMO.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:06 AM
On The Tree

I don't think the TB Bypass mod is worth it. You'll see zero gain from it. There's no point IMO.
I wouldnt go as far as saying as there is no point. Sure the performance gains will be minimal, but as we all know cooler air going into your motor is better than air that is partially heated with your 210 deg. coolant.
justin
Old 05-02-2003, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neither is worth the time or effort IMO. The by-pass can be convenient if your TB comes off a lot but otherwise not necessary unless you go hardcore with your motor. If it snows were you live don't do it.

Matthew
I strongly disagree with this comment. If you're only thinking in terms of RWHP gains, then yes, neither of these mods are going to show any increases. However, both of these mods do serve a purpose, especially the PCV mod. Anything you can do to help prevent oil from getting into your intake will help. Even better than the PCV mod is the oil catch can mod which almost completely eliminates all oil from entering the intake, which has several benefits:

1. Less chance of false knock.
2. In some instances can help alleviate what is commonly referred to as piston slap.
3. Keeps combustion chambers from building up oil residue, which can also cause your spark plugs to foul quicker.

Some mods have benefits other than RWHP gains that can still make them worthwhile.
Old 05-02-2003, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

TRUE,True
BTW Constrictor 98TA ,
I read or reply to you often, never noticed till now that you are on both boards though
Old 05-02-2003, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

2. In some instances can help alleviate what is commonly referred to as piston slap.
I'd love to hear how the PCV mod can stop piston slap. Piston slap is a result of an over-bored cylinder. I don't see how fixing an oil consumption problem will cure that. I agree that the PCV mod or a catch can is a great mod though. I think the TB bypass mod is worthless for all intensive purposes.
Old 05-03-2003, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

Matthew
I strongly disagree with this comment. If you're only thinking in terms of RWHP gains, then yes, neither of these mods are going to show any increases. However, both of these mods do serve a purpose, especially the PCV mod. Anything you can do to help prevent oil from getting into your intake will help. Even better than the PCV mod is the oil catch can mod which almost completely eliminates all oil from entering the intake, which has several benefits:

1. Less chance of false knock.
3. Keeps combustion chambers from building up oil residue, which can also cause your spark plugs to foul quicker.

Some mods have benefits other than RWHP gains that can still make them worthwhile.
Whatever. We just interpreted the question differently. That being said I still don't think it's that nescessary. Why don't you do a poll and find out how many shops sponsering this board do this mod.